Daiwa 120M anti reverse? Schematic?

The Other Reels forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Daiwa 120M anti reverse? Schematic?

Post by Liphook »

Afternoon all
I have an issue with a Daiwa 120M anti reverse not working. The switch moves nicely and I can see from removing the side cover that the mechanism and spring are in place and moving as I presume they should, however the anti reverse does not engage. The reel back winds either way. Can anyone shed any light on this or provide a schematic? I thought I had a schematic on digital file but I can only find 125 and 123 models. I've searched the Internet and my usual sites like Alan TanI , Daiwa, Reelschematics etc etc but can't find any thing for the 120!
Aside from removing the side cover, spool housing, spool and handle assembly I can't see how I can strip this reel down further to investigate!?!? Any help greatly appreciated :Hat:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Daiwa 120M anti reverse? Schematic?

Post by OldTackle »

Hi Liphook,
you need to remove the main gear. The pivoting slide that moves the spool up and down has two clips at the opposite end. Remove them carefully. I think it was Wal who suggested to do that within a plastic bag or something similar. I spent once hours to find mine and finally had to order spares for it.
Once this slide is removed the rest of the mechanics can be disassembled.
If you allow one question: did the reel ever work with the anti reverse or did you buy it this way?
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Hello again OT :Hat:

Thanks for your reply. I found the €clips once I'd cleaned the waxy old grease out with some petrol and I'll be disassembling the reel today at some point. The plastic bag is a good trick for reel tinkering particularly when it comes to circlips as they can be real Houdinis. I bought the reel online this week and it was sold as having the anti reverse disengaged but I suspect it might actually be broken?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

If you have a camera take pictures at every stage just in case you are unsure where something went, or which way around etc.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

when it was advertised as having the anti reverse disengaged I assume the pawl has been removed or turned over. You will find out as soon as the main gear has come out. I will just shortly disassemble mine and check...

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Okay, after the circlips are removed, pull the spool slider out. Then you need to unscrew the center spindle (anticlockwise) by simply putting a flat metal piece between the two notches where the spool cap threads in. Be careful not to scratch the thread!
When pulling out watch the copper disc washer unterneat the transfer gear (is it called like that? sorry, I am German :Chuckle: )
You should end up with this:
Then unscrew the handle brake cap. You will find a small spring clip on the shaft that you have to remove. Now be careful not to mess up the sequence of the internals. I have placed them in order here:
(re-assembling) It will be a bit fiddly to get the package back on but simply take your time. There is a certain point where you can push back the assembly to get space to bring the spring clip back on. Don't use brutal force. It is NOT necessary.
Now you can remove the main gear (again - keep an eye on the disc washers underneath!) and you will hopefully see this:
In case you don't see the anti-reverse pawl because the previous owner has removed it: I am almost 100% sure you can use any reverse pawl of the size-matching ABU 5's series. This will give you a permanent anti-reverse though as that pawl doesn't have the notch for the disengage lever of the 120M.

In case of any questions feel free to ask here but also drop me a pm please in this case.

:Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Crikey OT! That was exceptionally kind of you to take your reel apart to help! :Hat: I found out in the early hours of this morning that the pawl (or 'dog' as some call it) had been removed completely. Why I'm not certain as the reel was manufactured with an on/off AR switch for exactly that reason. Needless tinkering? Following the fashion to make alterations to the original Abu closed-face reels? Had it been broken? I'll never know but I hope I can find a replacement :Sun:
Excellent English by the way sir - I'm always embarrassed by the lack of multilingualism in my British upbringing. Languages were not an educational priority in my day :surrender:
Thank you for taking the time and effort to assist :Hat:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Liphook wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:32 pm Afternoon all
I have an issue with a Daiwa 120M anti reverse not working. The switch moves nicely and I can see from removing the side cover that the mechanism and spring are in place and moving as I presume they should, however the anti reverse does not engage. The reel back winds either way. Can anyone shed any light on this or provide a schematic? I thought I had a schematic on digital file but I can only find 125 and 123 models. I've searched the Internet and my usual sites like Alan TanI , Daiwa, Reelschematics etc etc but can't find any thing for the 120!
Aside from removing the side cover, spool housing, spool and handle assembly I can't see how I can strip this reel down further to investigate!?!? Any help greatly appreciated :Hat:
Liphook send the reel back to Daiwa,

that's what i did with one that had the same fault as yours, Posted on the Monday 1st class the reel was back with me fully repaired and serviced on the Friday all FOC.

Great service from Daiwa.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Ljm183 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:21 pm
Liphook wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:32 pm Afternoon all
Liphook send the reel back to Daiwa,

that's what i did with one that had the same fault as yours, Posted on the Monday 1st class the reel was back with me fully repaired and serviced on the Friday all FOC.

Great service from Daiwa.
What?? If only each company would react in that manor. Most of them do not even provide spares...
Keep us updated Liphook

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

It's surprising what some companies will do for their customers, when I was a heavy smoker, I always used a Zippo lighter, and when the hinges went floppy, just threw them away and bought a new one, till a mate told me they guaranteed them for life, and gave me the address to send them to. All you paid was the postage to them, nothing more, when they came back, they had new hinges, and inner workings, so almost a brand new lighter. So it pays to contact makers, with a nice begging letter, and see what comes back. :Thumb:
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Return to “Other Reels”