Fixed spool reel in a ghost town shop window What is it ?

The Other Reels forum.
Kev D
Chub

Fixed spool reel in a ghost town shop window What is it ?

Post by Kev D »

Amusing myself while my van was undergoing its MOT test , l used my daily exercise allotment for a stroll through the streets of town.
Remember the scene in the Outlaw Josey Wales when the hero turns up in a ghost town where the only signs of humanity come from a handful of misfits in the local saloon? Well just substitute the saloon , gamblers and a soiled - dove , for Wilko with a self distancing queue of two and a dog tied to a litter bin.
Risking trip hazards of tumblin' tumbleweed and with an eye out for bounty hunters l peered into a few charity shop widows.
20200430_122052_resized.jpg
l couldn't see a price and l am taking a guess that it's a Japanesey / Gladding device or similar? I am probably wrong.
The casting on the foot reads Quality Product.

Next to it rested this more familiar beauty.
20200430_134453_resized.jpg
So near yet so far ; the shop is of course locked- down .
I consoled myself by thinking of the pound still in my pocket and wandered back to collect my van by
a route that took me ,totally by chance, :whistle: along the head waters of the main tributary of the Arun....
20200430_125243_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Fixed spool reel in a ghost town shop window What is it ?

Post by Liphook »

Fairly certain the the top reel is a Daiwa Kev

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Daiwa 7350 possibly? I remember the quirky anti-reverse switch on my friend's reel.

Second one is definitely a Mitchell - I think :Hahaha:

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

That is a Daiwa from the early 1970s 700 range which preceded the 7000 range. It does not have the excellent spring-loaded drag that was introduced with the 7000s. Which model it is would depend on the size of the reel as it is from a scaled range of several similar reels. The position of the anti-reverse lever identifies it as one of the convertible "RL" models such as the 735 similar to mole-patrol's suggestion above.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Now you mention it ,l had a Daiwa exactly the same shape and colour but much smaller. It was on a par with a Blxxk Prxxxe🙂 .
The one in the shop is quite big.
Thank you all for the answers👍
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The one my friend had was I think the 7350 or as Ray suggests the earlier 750. I seem to remember the '50' bit as he said that defined it being a large reel. He had bought it for pike fishing. I wasn't that colour though. More like Datsun Bronze.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I see the francophiles are about......didn't think it would take long......I have a couple of Datsuns - I mean Daiwas in that fetching 'champagne sun rise' tone of dieng beige. I think the official colour may be Monkey Scat Brown. There might be a Pantone number for it? Mine run ok

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Kev,
Surely nothing is comparable with a Black Prince?
Cat

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

No Cat, there's scat and then right in the depths then there's the bp

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Nothing like a reel in a junk shop window to get the heart rate racing.... especially when they’re closed....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Other Reels”