Dingley? Franken-reel

The Other Reels forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Dingley? Franken-reel

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I won a reel at auction the other day and am awaiting delivery,which may take considerably longer than normal given the current circumstances.

The reel described as a JJS Walker Bampton & Co. caught my eye in that it looked Dingleyesque but I could not find a WB model that matched it. The noticeable features of the etching line through spokes, the handles & latch and the brass buttons along with the maker suggest to me the hand of William H Dingley. The spool boss however is more like a Hardy and the general appearance of the reel is reminiscent of an early Hardy Silex.

It is inscribed with the WB & Co markings but the position of the inscription is such that it is partially obscured by a brass button that appears to be a demountable check. This partial obliteration suggests that the reel was not made for sale. Another oddity, and there are more, is that as well as the brass button it also appears to have a half-coin adjuster. There is also a third screw adjuster that is recessed into the frame and is not strapped.

The front plate is latched with a sliding brass button and enclosed on 180 degrees by a molded alloy line guard that is attached by three counter sunk screws. This line guard is similar in style to the brass one photographed in the 'D is for Dingley' book that is attributed by the author to be an experimental design. As is mentioned in the text describing the unknown reel, this one also has features that fit one model or another, but not all the features can be found on any one reel that I know of. As Eric Morecambe said to Andrew Preview; "I am playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order." That is what this reel seems like.

My initial thoughts are that it may be a one-off for a special order, possibly a centrepin for float fishing as the spokes appear to be set at a greater diameter than on casting and fly reels. Or, it could be a rejected body used as a test bed for new ideas.

The auctioneer's labels mask much of the detail so I have cropped the interesting bits. Once I get it and open it up there may be some answers and there may be some more questions to answer. It also may of course just be a pile of old junk :Hahaha:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Dingley? Franken-reel

Post by AshbyCut »

I think it may be J. J. S Walker-Bampton of Alnwick reel. Try a google search for them.

I believe they made mainly fly reels.

One went at a Mullock's auction in 2014 for a hammer price of £100 (not the same model).

https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot- ... tml?p=1-40
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Yes, it is a JJS Walker Bampton reel. There is the maker's stamp on it that is partially obscured by the sliding brass button in the second photo.

There are features on the reel that are found on other Walker Bampton models but I haven't found a reel that has all the features. That is why I think that it may be a one off.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Clive, I think the optional check may have been added later as it doesn't somehow look the same quality of workmanship as the rest of the reel, plus it just doesn't seem right to put it through the makers details unless it was an afterthought.

Looking forward to seeing more details when you get the reel.

Wal..

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Yes. I noticed that the sliding brass button of the check has two fastenings, one screw and one rivet that don't look 'right'. The actual button however appears to be typical of the manufacturer and period. I have seen it on The Athol and The Utility. That leads me to think why would a secondary check control be needed? The half coin is only operated during the cast so perhaps someone wanted a trotting reel with a more permanent free spool option? That would explain the spokes being set at a wider diameter than on other, similar reels. Dingley would be familiar with the Slater style check mechanism and maybe wanted to improve it?

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Maybe a few more photographs of the whole reel might be useful in identifying it.

"Dingley would be familiar with the Slater style check mechanism and maybe wanted to improve it?"

I don't understand this bit especially again a photograph might help.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I mean the on/off sliding check button used on trotting reels. The auctioneer's labels the back are unfortunately placed so as to mask much of the detail hence my cropping the significant features that are visible. Once it arrives I should be able to get a better idea of it.

I originally thought that the brass showing at 10 - 11 o'clock as you look at the photo was a line guard. But there is a brass fitting at the back which would suggest it may be the pivot of a half coin check.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

To me it appears that the button over the makers' name is a later addition, possibly by a previous owner.

No maker would ever cover up his own logo in such an amateurish fashion like that and whilst the other screws are brass, (the central component looks like bronze) that button has a poorly fixed, steel screw on one side and a pin or rivet on the other-which took three attempts to get the hole in the right place!
In my opinion, that was never on the reel as originally made, it just doesn't ring true..but we shall never know for certain.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Yes, I agree with all of that. The line guard however is something I have not come across before and even with out the possibility of an add-on feature of unknown origin or purpose I don't know of any WB reel that fits the general description of this one.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Looks like a Dingley I use to have especially the spool
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Other Reels”