Daiwa servicing

The Other Reels forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Daiwa servicing

Post by Liphook »

Spurred on by the arival of a spare spool for my grey 760, I've had my vintage Daiwa reels to bits for a basic clean and re lubrication. I've been very impressed by their general construction, particularly the total lack of wear internally. I've got some woven carbon sheet on its way so I can cut new drag washers for them all. These will get a coat of Cals drag grease and that should make them all smooth and luvly.....time will tell. I'll come clean and say I've got another -a 750- on it's way from fleabay. See what you've started Jeremy and Terry :Sun: :Hat:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Daiwa servicing

Post by Bobthefloat »

Liphook wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:42 am Spurred on by the arival of a spare spool for my grey 760, I've had my vintage Daiwa reels to bits for a basic clean and re lubrication. I've been very impressed by their general construction, particularly the total lack of wear internally. I've got some woven carbon sheet on its way so I can cut new drag washers for them all. These will get a coat of Cals drag grease and that should make them all smooth and luvly.....time will tell. I'll come clean and say I've got another -a 750- on it's way from fleabay. See what you've started Jeremy and Terry :Sun: :Hat:
Would be nice to see some pics of your work :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

You're right I should have taken some pictures Terry, and when I get the carbontex sheet I shall attempt to post a few. I use a very handy chap called Russ at Blakdog Tackle (and that is not a spelling mistake) for Carbontex drag washers. Very often sizes are interchangeable between various reels or can be trimmed by hand to fit. I've used them brushed with Cals Drag Grease to transform fixed spools from horrible 'backwinder only' locked up or loose to silky smooth line givers. Likewise if you prefer a modern 'quickdrag' baitrunnner type operation then omitting the Cals can give you that effect as well as a higher overall drag resistance.

Dunsmuir
Stickleback

Post by Dunsmuir »

A couple of questions about carbontex drags on Daiwa 7000 series reels:

i) is there a marked difference in performance compared to the original washers?

ii) if so, how do you go about it? Do you replace each of the metal washers with new ones, or just one or two? Or is it the non-metal washers you replace?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

2nd atempt at getting a reply to post...

Retain the metal washers. Use the the carbontex washers to replace old fiber or felt washers and give smother operation and a wider drag range. Un greased they will give a lot more top end drag probably too much for freshwater work so I'd grease them with Cals or similar. Clean and very lightly oil the metal washers thoroughly before reassembling.- if needed polish out any imperfections with chrome cleaner or even toothpaste. If the drag spring looks crushed then tweak it open slightly - often they've been over compressed by being left screwed down tight for years.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Let's not mix the 700 series with their successors the 7000 series. The drags on the 7000 series introduced the excellent spring loaded drag, much better than on the 700s, which became a Daiwa standard.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'm not mixing them up that's why I mentioned the spring

Dunsmuir
Stickleback

Post by Dunsmuir »

Mind you, I have a 730H and as far as I can see, the drag set up in its spool looks identical to the one in my 7300H. I know the 730s with the H designation were a generally higher spec, which might explain it. Or maybe the one I have is a late example. It doesn’t say ‘spring loaded drag’ on the spool, though.

And thank you very much Liphook for the extremely helpful reply on how to deploy carbontex replacements. Excellent.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Dunsmuir wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:45 am Mind you, I have a 730H and as far as I can see, the drag set up in its spool looks identical to the one in my 7300H. I know the 730s with the H designation were a generally higher spec, which might explain it. Or maybe the one I have is a late example. It doesn’t say ‘spring loaded drag’ on the spool, though.

And thank you very much Liphook for the extremely helpful reply on how to deploy carbontex replacements. Excellent.
The spring-loaded drags on the 7000 series have the coil spring not in the washer stack but built into the drag knob.

Dunsmuir
Stickleback

Post by Dunsmuir »

Stingray wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:01 pm The spring-loaded drags on the 7000 series have the coil spring not in the washer stack but built into the drag knob.
Ah, that explains it. I've been puzzling about how the spring loaded technology actually worked. I assumed it was something to do with the way the washers were held in the spool, but evidently not. Many thanks.

Return to “Other Reels”