Daiwa 7300H - a few questions

The Other Reels forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Daiwa 7300H - a few questions

Post by Liphook »

Thanks to the eagle eyes of BobTheFloat :Hat: I recently bought a 7300H for a bargain price from fleabay! I particularly like the colour combination. Condition after a light clean is realy very good considering its age, which I believe is around 1975? Opening it up - which on this reel you can do on both sides as it effectively has a central chassis flanked by two side plates - revealed the grease had turned to a hard wax the colour of molasses but the internals are mint and it's really nicely engineered. I stripped the line off and set the spool soaking to lift off the grime. On disassembling the drag stack I was expecting to find a series of 6 washers as advertised on the front of the drag knob but no there were only 3! One keyed steel, followed by a single felt, topped with a plain round steel. Strangely there doesn't appear to be room for any more. So does my reel have the wrong drag parts, wrong spool or were Daiwa telling fibs? :Sun:

Stingray
Grayling

Re: Daiwa 7300H - a few questions

Post by Stingray »

I have checked my 7300H and my 7300(b) for you:

7300H

7300(b)

Both appear to be correct and work fine. Both spools work on both reels. The washer-well in the spool of the 7300H is deeper to accomodate the greater number of washers. So there are these two types of spool assemblies out there, either of which is OK if you have it.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thank you Stingray! It would appear that I have the 7300B spool in a 7300H reel? Much appreciated :Thumb:

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Liphook wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:07 am Thank you Stingray! It would appear that I have the 7300B spool in a 7300H reel? Much appreciated :Thumb:
You're welcome.

Or .... maybe they switched to the 3x washer spool at some point for all of the 300s; I'm sure my 7300H is an earlier build than my 7300.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Hopefully BobTheFloat can answer that one? It's pleasing to see that there are now at least 3 of us who appreciate these Japanese beauties - there's just too many francophiles out there for my liking, obviously they prefer horse meat to Kobe beef :Scared: If interest continues to grow there's a chance that they may rocket in value and may even reach double figure sums in the near future :Hahaha:
I'm trying to ascertain from your pictures if the drag recess is deeper on the H allowing it to accommodate the additional washers? Or are the washers in the 6 stack thinner?

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Liphook wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:32 pm Hopefully BobTheFloat can answer that one? It's pleasing to see that there are now at least 3 of us who appreciate these Japanese beauties - there's just too many francophiles out there for my liking, obviously they prefer horse meat to Kobe beef :Scared: If interest continues to grow there's a chance that they may rocket in value and may even reach double figure sums in the near future :Hahaha:
I'm trying to ascertain from your pictures if the drag recess is deeper on the H allowing it to accommodate the additional washers? Or are the washers in the 6 stack thinner?

Yes, I did say, the washer-well (maybe I made that name up) is deeper on the sixer.

I have several models from the 7000s All good reels. Only thing I would say they miss is chenilled spools although the little 7250RL does have it.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Ah my apologies I either didn't read that bit or it went in and didn't compute!

Dunsmuir
Stickleback

Post by Dunsmuir »

Does anyone know if there’s a difference in performance between the 7300 spool with six drag washers and the one with only three?

You’d tend to think the version with six washers was superior in some way, perhaps allowing for finer tuning of the drag setting. Or maybe it can take more pressure. But that may not be the case. And it’d be strange for Daiwa to supply a new reel with less than optimum spare spools, I’d have thought.

I’ve just got a nice 7300H off eBay with three spools, one a six-washer and the two others three-washers.

Return to “Other Reels”