Flick-em perfection centrepin

The Other Reels forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Flick-em perfection centrepin

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Ted, it might have been Nobby, he is very clued up on reels and when changes occurred.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:48 am Ted, it might have been Nobby, he is very clued up on reels and when changes occurred.

Wal.
Over to you Nobby! :Hat:

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Sorry to come onto this post late, but I have a couple of things to ask if anyone can help. I have one of these reels, given to me by my father in the early 60's (and a lovely reel it is too!). It shows a maker's name of Geo. Wilkins & Son of Redditch and it is the type with the ratchet on the back plate of the reel. My first question is that, on trying to do some research on it, it is clear that this type of reel was made by a number of manufacturers and it would be interesting to know whether the making of them passed completely to subsequent manufacturers or whether they were made at the same time by different manufacturers with their 'own' version of it. My second question relates to the age of my reel; I know the Geo. Wilkins made other tackle items but I cannot get any information on when mine might have been made. I have had it nearly 60 years and it looked far from new, even then!! Any ideas please? I have attached a photo if that may help at all. If anyone can help, you guys can! Many thanks, JohnImage

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

JohnH,

This is a reel made by Youngs.

If you have a look in Traditional Reels / JW Young and Allcock Reels you will find quite a lot about these reels.

This is from a post by Wallys-Cast:

“According to Elwyn Attwoods excellent book on J W Young and Sons, the 3 1/2" dia version of the pattern 12 was first mentioned in their 1938 catalogue, previously only available in 4" dia.. The more modern Rapidex version came out in 1946.

Made under different names for various retailers such as Fosters "Perfection". A Carter & Co as "The Special Sheffield Pattern Roach Reel". George Wilkins "The Perfection Flick-em". W Cummins as the "Homer Roach Reel". H Clayton as "the Fenland". Modern Arms as the "Snapham". Allcocks as the "Flick-em". Helical sold a version as "The Helical Bottom Fishers Aluminium Swimming Reel". There's a mouthful for you.”

Elsewhere in that topic there is some clever work on dating this type of reel - although you may not find a definitive answer.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Thanks Deaf Cat for a really helpful reply. I've at least got something to go on now, so hopefully I can throw some light on the history of my reel. Mine is the 4" version which may help a bit. Thanks again. Cheers, John

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes it probably was me that mentioned line getting trapped on these reels...using modern thin lines when stillwater fishing with one usually resulted in an entertaining greasy birds nest for me.....much to Mole's mirth.....

Still a favourite though. I beleive the three an three quarter inch model was stopped in 1937 two years before the four and a quarter.....both starting in 1931 possibly.

Don't we have a post on here listing all the names Youngs put on these...their own name being the rarest!

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Thanks Nobby. It looks as if my reel could date from at least 1939 then? That would account for it looking 'lived in' even when I was given it in the early 60's!! I will follow up the leads you and Deaf Cat have given me and should be able to obtain at least a fair idea of its age. Thanks to you both. John

Return to “Other Reels”