Wilkes Osprey Made or not?

The Other Reels forum.
Roachy
Bleak

Wilkes Osprey Made or not?

Post by Roachy »

I have this strange little 3 1/2 inch double bar gate latch centrepin reel.It was obviously sold by Wilkes Osprey and is marked likewise,plus it has made in England engraved on it as well.What I would like to know,is whether it was made by Wilkes them selves because the check looks like a Slater check.Has anyone got any info on this reel please?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Wilkes Osprey Made or not?

Post by Duckett »

The latch and the brass part fixing the bottom of the 'pin to the body look very similar to the Homer's Flick 'Ems I have. The general view seems to be that Youngs made the Flick 'Em for Homer's.

Agree that the off-set check mechanism does look like Slater.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

How's this for a theory? Made in England has long been associated with Milwards and they also took over Slater's around 1920 so that may explain the off set check.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Oooh, I do like a really good theory - and this one is no exception.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “Other Reels”