Another Strikeright

The Other Reels forum.
Peter Wilde
Rudd

Another Strikeright

Post by Peter Wilde »

I think this may be an Aduraflo de Luxe?

A recent purchase for not very much from a certain internet auction site (yes, that alarmingly addictive one). It tempted a bid because it was a type I'd not previously seen. The distinctive feature of this reel is an additional control on the back plate, fitted through one of the lineguard holes and with a knurled dial marked S, N and H. This seems to be a ratchet strength control, operating via an eccentric cam adjusting the spring tension ... which seems a neat idea. I'm not sure if this model was intended as a fly reel, but it came loaded with fly line and backing. There is a lineguard, but screwed in place from inside the back plate, not from the outside as usual.

From the badge (and the stainless steel foot) this Strikeright seems to be a late model. The spindle and ratchet bearing surfaces are metal, not nylon (did the reels end up being built down to a price?) and the ratchet lacks the clever adjustable pawl, so applies equally strongly in both directions.

Anyone know any more about these reels - or indeed the date of changeover to the badges without the model names?

As received, the reel was not at all usable as it graunched badly when the spool rotated; however this was due to the rubbing end of a spare lineguard screw. Removing this straightaway allowed free-ish rotation of the spool, so with some fettling the reel should be a user.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Re: Another Strikeright

Post by Stingray »

Most interesting. I have an Aduraflo De Luxe and there is great similarity but that ratchet gadget and the guard attachment are not like any Strikeright I have seen or seen the spec' of. I am thinking this one could be an Aduraflo De Luxe that has been modded by some clever person; unless anyone has seen one like it before.

There is a video of the Aduraflo De Luxe here - https://youtu.be/iTmx3SkZek8

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Thanks! I too wondered a bit if this was a user modification. On balance though, I'm inclined to think maybe not:

The one in the video spins beautifully (for a Strikeright; it's much better than any of mine) but has lost its badge! But it looks like one of the more usual Strikerights with nylon used for the inner part of the spool that sits on the pin and engages with the ratchet; and the reversible pawl. Mine doesn't have that. And I have seen another (late??) Strikeright that like mine, uses metal not nylon for those parts, and has an inferior non-reversible pawl.

Strikeright do seem to have made lots of changes to their line-up of reels over the years so I wonder if this is one of the variants they sold, or possibly even a one-off experiment by them? The dial markings on the back plate (S, N, and H) are not painted on but are neatly engraved into the metal.

According to a makers leaflet (helpfully posted elsewhere on TFF), Strikeright made - or was planning to make? - a Victorflo fly reel that perhaps matches some of the features of mine - I am pasting this description below. But I've never seen a picture of this one, and not all the described features match. All very curious!

Victorflo 3-1/2”
“Aluminium fly reel, finished part polished and part enamelled.
These will be built around our standard components (stainless steel spindle, nylon gear and bush, patent pawl, ect.), but include many new features of our own design. The “caging” being a more sound method of line control and leaves the front drum rim exposed for finger controlling.
Fitted with built-in anti-snag lineguard, that may be easily altered for left or right hand use.”

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

A footnote - another similar Strikeright reel with the knurled dial marked S, N and H has appeared on ebay. Which does suggest these reels were manufactured that way, not modified by a user.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Peter Wilde wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 am A footnote - another similar Strikeright reel with the knurled dial marked S, N and H has appeared on ebay. Which does suggest these reels were manufactured that way, not modified by a user.
Or they were both modded, possibly by the same person, possibly not. Exceptions (two in this case) prove rules perhaps.

Return to “Other Reels”