Diamond super deluxe 777

The Other Reels forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Diamond super deluxe 777

Post by Olly »

Would these be the Noris Shakespeare "Europa" series found in the 1967 Allcocks Guide? - 20/10 - 20/20 - 20/30 - 20/50.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
I have a Diamond Super 777, and have recently stripped it down and serviced it...worm gearing, bearings, etc...great little reels and straight forward to service. Spares will necessitate buying another one! I agree they seem underrated, probably due to their being Japanese, and thus sadly spelling the death knell for European manufacturers. Also check out Roddy reels, amongst other Japanese reels of the 60's / 70's. I have a Roddy 922L - absolutely bomb proof, and great as a go-to when you don't want to sacrifice your best reel.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Cat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:13 pm Hi,
I have a Diamond Super 777, and have recently stripped it down and serviced it...worm gearing, bearings, etc...great little reels and straight forward to service. Spares will necessitate buying another one! I agree they seem underrated, probably due to their being Japanese, and thus sadly spelling the death knell for European manufacturers. Also check out Roddy reels, amongst other Japanese reels of the 60's / 70's. I have a Roddy 922L - absolutely bomb proof, and great as a go-to when you don't want to sacrifice your best reel.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat.
Hi. Yes, these Diamond Supers are great reels and actually made by Olympic Fishing Tackle Co Ltd, Japan. Roddy you also mention is a favourite brand of mine (the old ones that you refer to I mean); I use my Roddy 922 for light beach and pike fishing - have you any Roddy Gyros ? Worthy of a topic or two. Not a sacrifice for me, they are some of my best reels !

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Stingray and all,
I agree that Roddy are a fine make, and the 922 eminently suitable for that task.
I don't have a gyro, but am going to look them up...thanks. The other Japanese reels to have a ponder over are Columbian...the littles ones - 61 - certainly have a worm gear, the larger ones - 68 (big salty the seadog) - don't necessarily, but am not sure at what size the change over is.
Cat

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

NickM wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:58 pm Diamond was a brand name of Ohmori of Japan, Olympic is an entirely different brand. The Diamond Super and Diamond Super de Luxe were listed by Sealey in their catalogue. The same company went on to make the Europa Klasse De Luxe, Ball Bearing and Ball Bearing II range for Noris Shakespeare and I believe so too the Sigma series. For further reading from the blog of a Japanese engineer go to http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~take300/ and click the link to Ohmori.

The Sealey catalogue pages were to be found within this forum, but it seems pictures evaporate rather quickly on some uploading services.
No, "Diamond Supers" were sold by Olympic of Japan under their sub-brand Compac - I have had a look at you linked page and the info regarding them being made by another maker is incorrect unless they are referring to different "Diamonds" (giving the author the benefit of the doubt there) -

Compac is Olympic. We see in this pic the biggest one but there are examples of Compacs out there identical to the Diamonds uploaded to this topic.

NickM
Ruffe

Post by NickM »

The reel you show is just another rebrand with a custom side plate identical save for that detail to the Diamond Super Deluxe 1000. Just as the reels in the original Diamond Super Deluxe range are the same in evey regard , but for that and colour scheme, as those in the Europa Klasse Deluxe 2200 series distributed under the Noris Shakespeare Brand. In similar fashion the Shakespeare 2400 series was a rebrand of the Diamond Micro 7. You're confusing distributor with manufacturer.
Last edited by NickM on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

NickM wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:06 pm The reel you show is just another rebrand with a custom side plate identical save for that detail to the Diamond Super Deluxe 1000. Just as the reels in the original Diamond Super Deluxe range are the same in evey regard , but for that and colour scheme, as those in the Europa Klasse Deluxe 2200 series distributed under the Noris Shakespeare Brand. In similar fashion the Shakespeare 2400 series was a rebrand of the Diamond Micro 7. You're confusing distributor with manufacturer.
I'm not confusing distributor with maker. Compac was a brand of Olympic. What you did was to take one unverified internet source and use it to say my findings were wrong. The multiple other badges point is a red herring as that could happen regardless of maker.

NickM
Ruffe

Post by NickM »

Compac was the trade mark of Commerce Pacific Inc. an American corporation based in L.A. that imported reels made in Japan from various manufacturers, including Olympic, but by no means did they deal with that company exclusively, nor was Compac owned by Olympic. Those reels from the famously plagiaristic Olympic's catalogue that Compac did distibute in the U.S.A., among them their blatant Mitchell "hommage" the Model 81 retained the Olympic badge. Oomori on the other hand were much more obliging in anonymising their products even to the point of remoulding the entire side plate to the requirement of their customers be they Pfleuger, Noris, Shakespeare or as in the the example you exhibit, Compac. The Diamond trade mark was always Oomori's property and is the name under which they sold to the Japanese domestic market and remained so well into the eighties. If you mistrust the word of Take san, just cut and paste 大森製作所 リール into Google images.

Return to “Other Reels”