Trentman reel: information needed

The Other Reels forum.
Stathamender
Tench

Trentman reel: information needed

Post by Stathamender »

I've been contacted, through a roundabout route, by former Likely Lad John Essex who is looking into the history of this reel for someone else.

John says:
. I had a query about a Trentman reel but know very little about them other than they were retailed by Tom Watsons shop in 1970, maybe because of the shops link with Jim Sharp. Any information on when they were introduced and who manufactured them would be very useful.
He also provides this picture from Tom Watson's 1969 catalogue:

We've had some discussions about these before, to which Barbelseeker and Bob Brookes, among others contributed. It would be good if we could get some definite conclusions.

Tom Watson used 'Trentman' as a brand for various kinds of tackle: rods, reels, floats etc. He seems to have bought these in but who actually made the reels which started mid to late 60s? They look to be a very professional product, the knurled rim and the anodising mark them out as the product of someone highly skilled with access to relatively sophisticated equipment and processes. They don't appear to be cast but cut from aluminium stock. The Raleigh works has been suggested but back then bike frames were, I believe, always steel and therefore there was unlikely to be anodising equipment around. On the other hand there are few of them around so it could have been someone with limited access or who moved on to other stuff after a while.

They've always reminded me of the Lewtham Leeds reels (the lack of handles, the knurled rim, the anodising) so were they perhaps an early product of that venture?

Any ideas gratefully received, let's see if we can get a consensus.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Aitch
Pike

Re: Trentman reel: information needed

Post by Aitch »

It looks Lewtham Leeds' ish to me...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

I bought my reel from them, served no doubt by Bob Watson, who always seemed to be in the shop, along with someone called "Ian" who had some connection from/to Redditch and the hook trade - Can anyone tell me his last name. Began with a "H" i think.

As to the reel, whilst they spin free enough, the methods of assembly, leaves something to be desired in that:
A) The spool plates, especially the outer can be a little bit eccentric and have some wobble. I think that they bored out the bearing sockets perhaps too big by the odd thou and there can be in some a little slop. I did think that this was down to the method of attachment of the spindle onto the backplate with a nylon nut, but having disassembled mine and 2 of my friends and rebuilt them, I couldn't remove this slight wobble however I tried.
B) One of the major faults, is to me the reel seat. This is pressed out of steel, and seat is then seemingly riveted to the back plate. If the reel is dropped or the reel seat pushed down towards the spool itself - there is slack and noticeable movement then between the seat and its retaining pins. (as on my reel)

I do not know if they were made special. Maybe Eddie Upton could help (I will try to contact him) or Ian H*, its going onto 45/50 years ago. All the oldies who may have known like Jim Sharpe have been gone for a long time.

Thought I would do a quick search on my computer for one of the best hemp, tare and wheat fisherman of his time - Jim Sharpe, and found he had won the inaugural "Redmayne Trophy" when it was awarded. Many names on here, I used to watch fish, or occasionally had the honour of being in their company. Our amount of time allocated to us on this earth, is just a cosmic blink compared to the life of the Universe. Eddie Bagshaw; Jim Hencher; Herbert Hickling; Roland Beckett; Len Duckworth; Jim Bannon - just a few and all gone. :Cry:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Thanks for this B'seeker. Very informative.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I'm posting this to bump the thread so I can see if there's any further information on the 'Trentman' reels, in particular who they were made by, as I'm anxious to get a reply back to John on this.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

I've not been able to find a telephone number for Eddie, you could enquire of Gerry's of Nottingham, since he worked there in his latter years.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Stathamender wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:12 pm I'm posting this to bump the thread so I can see if there's any further information on the 'Trentman' reels, in particular who they were made by, as I'm anxious to get a reply back to John on this.
You have mail.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

The Trentman was made by Lewtham Great reel Fetching retail £48-£75.In good condition. Sold a few in my time.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Barbelseeker wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:04 pm I bought my reel from them, served no doubt by Bob Watson, who always seemed to be in the shop, along with someone called "Ian" who had some connection from/to Redditch and the hook trade - Can anyone tell me his last name. Began with a "H" i think.

As to the reel, whilst they spin free enough, the methods of assembly, leaves something to be desired in that:
A) The spool plates, especially the outer can be a little bit eccentric and have some wobble. I think that they bored out the bearing sockets perhaps too big by the odd thou and there can be in some a little slop. I did think that this was down to the method of attachment of the spindle onto the backplate with a nylon nut, but having disassembled mine and 2 of my friends and rebuilt them, I couldn't remove this slight wobble however I tried.
B) One of the major faults, is to me the reel seat. This is pressed out of steel, and seat is then seemingly riveted to the back plate. If the reel is dropped or the reel seat pushed down towards the spool itself - there is slack and noticeable movement then between the seat and its retaining pins. (as on my reel)

I do not know if they were made special. Maybe Eddie Upton could help (I will try to contact him) or Ian H*, its going onto 45/50 years ago. All the oldies who may have known like Jim Sharpe have been gone for a long time.

Thought I would do a quick search on my computer for one of the best hemp, tare and wheat fisherman of his time - Jim Sharpe, and found he had won the inaugural "Redmayne Trophy" when it was awarded. Many names on here, I used to watch fish, or occasionally had the honour of being in their company. Our amount of time allocated to us on this earth, is just a cosmic blink compared to the life of the Universe. Eddie Bagshaw; Jim Hencher; Herbert Hickling; Roland Beckett; Len Duckworth; Jim Bannon - just a few and all gone. :Cry:
My grandfather fished with Jim Sharpe and I remember him telling me how good he was. I bought my first rod from Tom Watson's on Canal Street and would get the bus from Clifton once a week to get maggots for fishing either on the embankment or Clifton Grove.

Ian H, I spoke to a few times after I had purchased a couple of lots of tackle sold by Bonhams including various rod licences, Tom Watson's rent book and various document covering the early history of the company. Ian worked for the Redditch tackle trade as a "representative" and later in a managerial role. Somewhere I have a letter from him after I tried to purchase a few more letters and bits of ephemera. I also bought a six piece Slater Pocket Roach rod that had been rewhipped by Watson's sometime in the 1950's, it had garish green whippings that I thought I would restore, never did.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Stefan - What was Ian's last name please? it annoys me that I cannot remember it.

Return to “Other Reels”