Mitchell Match bail arms.

The Other Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Mitchell Match bail arms.

Post by Willsmodger »

I've found me and Mitchell reels get on very well indeed.

This doesn't really have much to do with wanting to be traditional, more that I am fed up of untangling overruns or sorting line snags on modern reels. Long story short, Mitchell reels behave themselves.

I'm thinking about getting a Mitchell Match and I'm curious about the bail arm mechanism.

You see, one I owned and had to sell due to poverty had an easy, soft close that only required a slight turn of the handle. Really nice.

Others have what I would call the clatter type bail arm, which require greater force, even anti reversing to give it a bit of a run up so to speak.

Why is this?

Wear, some type of fettle, different production runs, witchcraft?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Mitchell Match bail arms.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It's usually a combination of wear in the bail linkages and a worn baffle plate and bail closing lever.
There are some adjustments and a couple of tweaks that can make it a lot better but it will never be as smooth as a new or lightly used reel.

Bear in mind, there are quite a few variations too so its not always plain sailing to get the exact parts you need.

My advice is to buy a little used reel and have it serviced.

Wal.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks Wal. Much appreciated.

So I will have to keep an eye out for the nice ones in great condition on the dreaded popular auction site. Shame, the ones with paint loss are cheaper.

It's worth doing though, my Mitchell, which I sold put any of the latest let's see how many knobs and switches we can get on a reel to shame.

It struck me after a while that they weren't designed by accident. The only thing the line can snag on is the anti reverse lever, and even then it's positioned in such a way that it doesn't.

Thanks again.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think it was the angling times readers who voted the Mitchell Match as the best angling invention of the 20th century.

A couple of months back, I was very kindly allowed by our honorary vice president Mal Baird to have a fish with his previously unused 440. It reminded me just what a great reel they are.

The prices seem to be at an all time low at the moment, a good time to treat yourself one.

Wal.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

It was actually a 410A that got me into Mitchell's originally.

After spending most of one day down the river sorting out the various tangles, snagged line and general nuisances of a very well known Japanese reel I remembered my early days with a 300 and my memory of it was it was a simple trouble free reel.

I got a 410a cheap from the auction site. I had been lurking on the BFW website and one thread had recommended them.

Anyway, after a day of it just sitting on the rod, quietly doing its job with no fuss I thought "hang on a minute"

I'm going to use the word ergonomics here. Because I suspect it's not just the fabulous engineering that went into the Mitchell's. I suspect they were designed for using in an actual fishing situation, which may be why they are so user friendly.

It's a bit like taking line guards and handles off a pin to reduce snags. Someone in the past has actually sat down and thought about it.

As for the Japanese specials, yes, I'm sure they are fantastic at sitting on a pair of carp rods when it's one cast a day. As a working reel, constantly retrieving and casting out feeders on the river say. Just no.

All the best.
Will

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Sorry. That opening paragraph should have read back into Mitchells. I'm doing two things at once, typing while watching a film and multifailing.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The 410 is a strange reel. Same size as a 300 but a faster retrieve and of course it runs on a couple of roller bearings but I have always looked at it a 300s bigger brother, daft I know but it just seems to be made for bigger fish.
Maybe its the blue paintwork.

Wal.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

I like the 410, the 308 and 408, but the 300A is a work of art - it’s a bit like the best referees, you never notice them...
The Watcher by the Bridge

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

My 410a had a problem with line bunching on the reel end. I've since learned it can be fettled with shims to improve the line lay.I've also learned the drag can be improved with carbontex washers. So as a barbel reel, why would you look at anything else?

The 300 range is pretty, if I had the money, which I don't, it would go on a pair of 300 Pros.

I try not to be a tackle tart, but I would radiate smugness if I had a pair of those sitting on my barbel rods.

All the best.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Interesting... I have just posted a question about line lay on my 301 ( right hand wind version of 300) that bunches up too at the back of the spool..
my old Mitchell match has a bit of noise going on with the gears.,, I will have to see if I can find an exploded diagram and have a go myself.,,
The shims... are they easy to fit?
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Other Reels”