Intrepid REGENT.

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Wanderer
Arctic Char

Intrepid REGENT.

Post by Wanderer »

I've just dug out an Intrepid Regent that I have had for years and have not payed much attention to.
I have gven it a wipe down and an oiling and it does seem to be quite a sweet little thing.
I'm thinking of using it.

Does anyone have any experience of using these reels ?

Any background history ?
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Intrepid REGENT.

Post by Dave Burr »

Had one when I was about ten years old and thought I was the bee's knees. Like most Intrepids, the build quality is iffy at best but the Elite was favoured by many top anglers at the time.... until Mitchell got their feet under the table.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Wonderfully " almost" there.

It was an important day that Ray at Keswalls saw me as worthy of buying "on the book" and sold me a 300

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

The Regent is a good to me lovely little reel, head and shoulders better than the very similar looking Envoy which it was based upon. From the Envoy it upgrades the bale, the handle, chenille, the drag knob and adds that great "camatic" gearing (slow back, fast forward) for line lay that enables better casts. Originally shipped with a red plastic case and two spools : 1x full and 1x shallow. One of my top Intrepids (and I like Intrepids). Circa 1963.
Last edited by Stingray on Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There are a few photos of the 'Regent' on this nice site dedicated to Intrepid Reels ... but not much information. It looks like a bigger version of the 'Classic' with it's egg shaped body ... and I can vouch for how nice that is to use. Tag Barnes, in his 1968 book "The Art of Roach and Bream Fishing" says "The (reel) I use more than any other for roach fishing is the Intrepid Classic, its main advantage over other reels being its 5 in 1 gear ratio." I can't vouch if the Regent is the same ratio.

http://www.intrepidreel.com/home.html
Last edited by AshbyCut on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

AshbyCut wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 pm There are a few photos of the 'Regent' on this nice site dedicated to Intrepid Reels ... but not much information. It looks like a bigger version of the 'Classic' with it's egg shaped body ... and I can vouch for how nice that is to use. Tag Barnes, in his 1968 book "The Art of Roach and bream Fishing" says "The (reel) I use more than any other for roach fishing is the Intrepid Classic, its main advantage over other reels being its 5 in 1 gear ratio." I can't vouch if the Regent is the same ratio.

http://www.intrepidreel.com/home.html
Classic is another lovely little Intrepid (about he same size as the Regent). The Classic was specifically designed for match and other applications requiring a faster retrieve but it does not have camatic line lay like the Regent whereas the Regent has slower (standard) retrieve. Both great little reels and worth owning both.
Last edited by Stingray on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Stingray wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 pm The Regent is a good to me lovely little reel, head and shoulders better than the very similar looking Envoy which it was based upon. From the Envoy it upgrades the bale, the handle, chenille, the drag knob and adds that great "camatic" gearing (slow back, fast forward) for line lay that enables better casts. Originally shipped with a red plastic case and two spools : 1x full and 1x shallow. One of my top Intrepids (and I like Intrepids). Circa 1963.
Thanks for that information,Stingray.
I have the red plastic case, but no spare spool or paperwork of any sort.
The spool that I do have is the deep one and I have to say the chenille is in remarkably good condition, considering its age.
I'm wondering if the spools are unique to the Regent or are used on any other intrepid reels.
I could certainly make use of a spare spool (or two)

All the best.

Neal.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Wanderer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:56 am
I'm wondering if the spools are unique to the Regent or are used on any other intrepid reels.
I could certainly make use of a spare spool (or two)

All the best.

Neal.
The spools in the Envoy are the same fit I think but they don't have the chenille :Hat:

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Lovely little reels, I use one regularly, perfect match for a light roach rod. Landed a pike on it a few weeks ago, made the drag scream a bit but no problem.

JW

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Should be of interest, Neal. Now I think about it the Classic may or may not have had high gearing as it achieved at least some of its faster retrieve by having a greater diameter spool/rotor/bale clawing more line in at ever turn.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”