Intrepid Elite bail arm cutting through line?

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
ExeAngler
Chub

Intrepid Elite bail arm cutting through line?

Post by ExeAngler »

I have a bit of a problem with my Intrepid Elite, On numerous occasion the line has snapped when I have struck or been pulling line off the spool with the bail arm closed. On investigation it looks like there is a slight gape or a sharp piece where the bail arm roller connects to the main body of the reel. It has even happened on 12lb line?

To get over the problem I have wound green tape around the bail arm roller which has stopped the problem but does not look too good. Anyone know How I can fix the problem or a better looking solution that the tape, a pieces of rubber maybe???

If I get a chance I will upload a picture

Thanks in advance.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: Intrepid Elite bail arm cutting through line?

Post by Gary Bills »

Oh, that's a problem - I had a problem like that once, with a Cardinal C4 - a problem which seemed to happen suddenly - it had done good service for many years, but a long run by a common at a farm pond literally left around 40 yards of line totally "feathered". That's when I switched to Mitchells.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello ExeAngler.
Would like to see a photograph of the damaged area on your reel. I have two K.P. Morritt's Intrepid "Elites" Pat No. 798,024 purchased recently at a car boot for very little money that may suit your needs sir for spares. Both have bail arms intact although neither reel is very well.

If they are of any use, you may have them with my blessings!

Kind regards
Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

JAA

Post by JAA »

I've a Challenger and it's bail arm roller is chrome plated brass and look just like the ones in the above pictures of the Elite. Once the line is through the chrome the brass cuts up like cheese for all the the use it is. It might be replacement is the best option.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

JAA wrote:It might be replacement is the best option.
I concur with the Honourable Gentleman.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

I agree. In fact I think that replacement is the only viable option.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

With all due respect gentlemen exeangler mentions a sharp edge or gap where the roller sits rather than grooving or damage to the roller it's self.
I believe when I took my example to bits I discovered the roller could be fitted the wrong way round , if memory serves it's not symmetrical, I wonder if this could be the problem?? Apologies if I'm talking testicles.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It could also happen that the retaining nut is working loose, allowing the gap to exist/open up. I hope that's the case, because its the easiest one to fix!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Thank you for all the reply's

Stour Otter,

Very kind of you to offer me the reels and I will gladly accept. I hope to take a picture of the reel and will load it onto this thread so people can have a look at the issue, but it is very hard to make out what it is. It could be a slight gap that it causing it or as JAA said, chrome over brass.

Exeangler

JAA

Post by JAA »

ExeAngler wrote:Thank you for all the reply's

Stour Otter,

Very kind of you to offer me the reels and I will gladly accept. I hope to take a picture of the reel and will load it onto this thread so people can have a look at the issue, but it is very hard to make out what it is. It could be a slight gap that it causing it or as JAA said, chrome over brass.

Exeangler
A picture never hurts!

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”