Plastic box for Intrepid Elite

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Stingray
Grayling

Re: Plastic box for Intrepid Elite

Post by Stingray »

Walkerburt wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:37 pm Image

Here he is, fishing the Border Esk at Langholm, probably about 1958/9.

Phil
Brilliant picture, thanks for sharing.

Kevin Foster
Minnow

Post by Kevin Foster »

Hi, have an Elite , working ok, with red box ! Anyone interested?

RoyO
Stickleback

Post by RoyO »

Stingray wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:14 pm
Walkerburt wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:38 am My first spinning reel was an Elite, bought in 1962, it had a red box
Quite posh for a first spinning reel back then.
I bought an Elite at almost exactly the same time, or maybe a year earlier, aged 14. I still have the red box but not, sadly, the reel it once contained. As for "posh" in my case I had to save up for the reel by working after school and at weekends in a garage. I fished the reel with a Spanish Reed rod with a fibreglass tip. Emulating my "posher" betters I immediately started saving up to buy a 12 ft Apollo Taperflash and a Mitchell Prince. About a year later when I'd attained my ambition I felt like a Prince. Unfortunately working about 20 hrs a week whilst still at school didn't do a lot for my O and A level grades which is why I ended up at a Welsh university rather than Oxbridge. Anyway, that's my excuse...
Roy

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

RoyO wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:14 pm started saving up to buy a 12 ft Apollo Taperflash and a Mitchell Prince.
That jogged my memory. I still have an Apollo Taperflash (hollow metal in case anyone doesn't know). Mine has two butt sections for a choice of two lengths.

Posher reels: the waterside boys tackle oneupmanship was quite a thing back then. Everything from cheapo boys centrepins right up to Mitchells and other exotics such as Youngs, and and all tiers in between. The Intrepid Elite was fairly high up but below the expensive Mitchells as you say.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have an Elite with red box ... and I'm holding onto it !!! :Wink:

This is the advert announcing the new Elite, from Fishing Gazette, December 1961 ...

... and they do work well, by the way ...

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”