330 or 440

The DAM Reels forum.
EssexMark
Minnow

330 or 440

Post by EssexMark »

Hello all. I wonder if I may ask for some advice please. I'm thinking of joining my brother later this Autumn (I do like to prepare!)for one of his Pike trips up to the Yare in Norfolk. He generally lure fishes during the day and then as light fades drifts a deadbait under a drift float towards the larger boats in the nearby marina. He has had some big upper doubles and there is always a chance of a really large female fish. So I'm thinking of a deadbait set up that is traditional ( I've come to this forum from the more modern and bling fishing that has left me cold and out of love with angling-the traditional way has ignited my passion again). So I have been drawn to these heavily engineered DAM reels and think either a 330 or 440 would be perfect matched to either a heavy cane rod (something like a Hardy 3 spinning rod)or a stepped up glass carp rod. Could you let me know please what size reel out of these would be better. It wont be for long distance but I will need a strong reel. Many thanks.

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Re: 330 or 440

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Mark Ive no idea which of the two reels you mention would be most suitable for your needs . My only pike this last year was about 2lbs in weight ...
Ive put an image above of my 330 compared to an Abu 155 for size comparison if that helps at all
I presume other more informed TFF members will be along soon for more information
Trevor

EssexMark
Minnow

Post by EssexMark »

Thanks Trevor, really helpful. I always thought the 57 Cardinal was a bit more suited to pike than the 55 or 155. How do you find the DAM. I've heard they are well engineered with a great clutch. What fishing discipline do you use it for my I ask? Thank you for replying. Mark

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

I mainly use the 330 for carp. I tend to fish close in the margins rather than at a distance .The 155 Ive had from new to replace a Mitchell 300 that I lost.
The 330 looks a bit agricultural but I think suits a cane rod well. It is a well engineered reel that feels balanced in use ,has a good sized handle, and a nice smooth clutch that never gives any concern playing a fish.
Of the two reels shown I prefer to use the 330 , usually with a glass Sealey carp rod or Hardy LRH 2
Trevor

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Have a look here http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... it=dam+440

I'd choose the 440 for big pike.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Hi Mark and welcome,

I am with Martin although I think a 440 is a bit too much even for a really big pike of 20 pounds. I had a few of these on during my younger days and from my experience they don‘t run as long and as fast as carp do. They do strong and heavily and mostly without any warning. I‘d trust any of my 330‘s or Finessa‘s (previous version) on such a task. I think most important is that the reel is good serviced and has a metal(!) spool. These plastic ones can easily crack as you will use strong line or even braid. Beading-in will put some serious pressure on the top rim of the spool.
I should have one or two flying around. Drop me a pm if you‘re interested. Otherwise I think you have come to the exactly right place ...
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Evening,
Agree completely with the above two replies. The 440 is a bit of a beast of a reel, and also more rare - am thinking of spares. Top kit!
Regards Cat

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Well, Cat's got a point there. The 330 is not scarce at all. You can easily find one or two in good condition for very little money.
And for playing a decent pike, it is still big enough. As Old Tackle says, you wouldn't expect a big pike to run 100 yards.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

EssexMark
Minnow

Post by EssexMark »

Excellent guy. I'll look for a good 330 and Oldtackle I'll definitely PM you re the spool. Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. On to sorting out which rod to get for the trip now...

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

LRH No.2 or Dawson‘s Challenger would be good choices. For pike fishing I learned to prefer a screw reel seat :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “DAM Reels”