Value of DAMs

The DAM Reels forum.
Jeff Smith
Dace

Re: Value of DAMs

Post by Jeff Smith »

Thanks for your help Gents. Well, I’ve sold a couple but I’m definitely keeping a matched pair of 330s that I’ve spent a bit of time on, getting them to run like silk with tips from here, and Alan Tani’s site in the US.

Bilch
Stickleback

Post by Bilch »

Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:51 pm Thanks for your help Gents. Well, I’ve sold a couple but I’m definitely keeping a matched pair of 330s that I’ve spent a bit of time on, getting them to run like silk with tips from here, and Alan Tani’s site in the US.
Is there anything special that you did (apart from taking them apart, cleaned and greased)?
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Bilch wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:22 am
Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:51 pm Thanks for your help Gents. Well, I’ve sold a couple but I’m definitely keeping a matched pair of 330s that I’ve spent a bit of time on, getting them to run like silk with tips from here, and Alan Tani’s site in the US.
Is there anything special that you did (apart from taking them apart, cleaned and greased)?
Polished the main shaft, removed the bearing covers and packed them with grease, and made replica drag discs from carbontex sheet which really improves the smoothness of the drag.
They’re so well built that, in most cases, a clean will suffice and keep them running for another 50 years

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There's always something you can do, if you have an engineering background, to improve on a production line built reel. It might be polishing a poor finish, rounding a sharp edge that penetrates an oil film or simply improving clearances with shimming adjustments.

Whether or not it improves the reel in use or not is subjective, but it pleases me to do so, if I can.

Return to “DAM Reels”