D.A.M. Super

The DAM Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Re: D.A.M. Super

Post by Cat »

Hi,
If I remember correctly I simply prized off one cover very delicately with a small flat head screwdriver, cleaned it out, and refilled with grease. The face of the race of the removed cover is then the one the is placed back against the frame - it'll make sense when you look at it. Worth giving the shaft a good a polish as possible too + a little grease or oil (or a mix... your personal preference) on other moving parts. A good clean with cotton buds around all the gearing makes a difference, with a drip or two of light oil afterwards.
Let me know how you get on.
Regards Cat

Bilch
Stickleback

Post by Bilch »

Cat wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:28 am Hi,
If I remember correctly I simply prized off one cover very delicately with a small flat head screwdriver, cleaned it out, and refilled with grease. The face of the race of the removed cover is then the one the is placed back against the frame - it'll make sense when you look at it. Worth giving the shaft a good a polish as possible too + a little grease or oil (or a mix... your personal preference) on other moving parts. A good clean with cotton buds around all the gearing makes a difference, with a drip or two of light oil afterwards.
Let me know how you get on.
Regards Cat
Thanks a lot! I hope I can do it without damaging the bearing
And also thank you for the other advice – you couldn’t have known, but I've been doing everything just as you described ever since I took the first reel apart :)
I’ve always used oil for the line roller, axle, shaft, handle grip … and grease for the gears. But when I did the Microlite, I soon found out that grease was not the right choice. The Microlite is so well built, with no play between the parts, that it cranked stiffly afterwards. I had to clean the grease off and apply a mixture of grease and oil – afterwards it cranked nicely as it should :)
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Although I always use a drop or a smear, my Dad, who was a Chartered Mechanical Engineer, always suggested that brass gearing (or bronze in the case of certain reels - Sup Matics for example) shouldn't actually need lubrication. I suppose the recommendation of little and often is best + a little experimentation with weights of grease and oil. I always think of a mature fixed spool reel akin to a vintage car with lots of TLC and nursing needed, and needs and servicing today after X number of years work may be slightly different to the original manufacturer's recommendations.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have just acquired on of these. The handle is mounted to be used with the right hand. I use my left hand! I have tried to change the handle over to the other side but have so far been unsuccessful. I watched a video on Youtube explaining how to knock the pin out holding the handle onto the drive shaft but I cannot get it out. The screws on the handle plate also refuse to move. Would anybody like to take the job on of moving the handle. Of course, only to happy to pay. Otherwise I will sell it, although with regrets as it is an exceptionally well made reel and is in good order. All help will be gratefully received.
Mark Davies

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Penninelad wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:07 pm I have just acquired on of these. The handle is mounted to be used with the right hand. I use my left hand! I have tried to change the handle over to the other side but have so far been unsuccessful. I watched a video on Youtube explaining how to knock the pin out holding the handle onto the drive shaft but I cannot get it out. The screws on the handle plate also refuse to move. Would anybody like to take the job on of moving the handle. Of course, only to happy to pay. Otherwise I will sell it, although with regrets as it is an exceptionally well made reel and is in good order. All help will be gratefully received.
First step WD40 on pin and screws. Light knocks to help loosen. Then sometimes tightening a stuck screw can help loosen it, slightly counterintuitively. Be careful not to burst the slots on the screws. Pins often need a very narrow punch used very carefully with a light hammer (avoid damage to shaft) or some lucky folk may even have a pin/rivet extractor.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Thanks for the advice but I have not been able to remove the pin or the screws. I will make one last attempt ensuring no damage is caused. If I cannot make any progress I'll put it in the "For Sale" section.
Mark Davies

Bilch
Stickleback

Post by Bilch »

Because the DAM Super has no slide for spool oscillation (like the Quick finessa) and uses a worm wheel instead, all you have to do is unscrew the handle (+bearing cover, driving axle, driving wheel) and the plate cover on the other side. And then just screw them both back on the opposite side. There are six screws if you have an older version (like mine) or three screws if you have a newer version. You don't need to knock out any of the two bolts (one for the handle and the other for the driving wheel). If you can’t move the screws, I suggest using penetrating oil. Just don't use force, or you might break the screws. But even if that happens, I think it shouldn't be a problem to get new ones.
I tried yesterday with mine and it took me about 1 minute.
Super 01.jpg
Super 02.jpg
Super 03.jpg
Super 04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Many thanks.The reel has now been passed to a reel expert to do the job.
Mark Davies

Return to “DAM Reels”