Which DAM reel

The DAM Reels forum.
Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Which DAM reel

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Afternoon Gentlemen

It's that time of year again when I celebrate my arrival into the world by treating myself to something fishing related. :Hahaha:

This year I thought I would try and find myself a nice DAM reel as I really like the look on them and I don't have anything remotely similar looking in my armoury.

Now this is where I need a little assistance for your good selves I ideally wanted a fairy small version for light fishing for roach/perch etc and was hoping that you may be able to recommend which models I should be trying to find.

Kindest regards GB

Cat
Chub

Re: Which DAM reel

Post by Cat »

Hi GB,
I would recommend the 220 or a 110 (if you are able to find the latter at a reasonable price) for your target fish. The 'N' versions were following the '0's. Also worth considering the Junior and the Hobby (the latter quite basic, but small and very nice). Reasonably difficult to find them in the UK, so worth a look in Germany and stateside (bucket loads on eBay in the US, but with postage and import charges). I use my 330's as go-to carp reels, and 220's as all-rounders. The 440 is a proper beast! Junior and Hobby are both nice light reels. Beautifully engineered pieces of kit, and spares are reasonably available.
Enjoy! Regards Cat

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Thanks Cat for your swift reply :Thumb: Were there many differences with the n versions do you know?

Kindest regards GB

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

They look pretty similar ish on the inside and out, although the old ones just feel right. The anti reverse is in a different position, and the more modern one only has two positions as oppose to three. I've never stripped down an 'N' as yet as my two are as new and I've only used them on occasion. The older versions are pretty straight forward to strip and the bearings like good grease. I'm unsure if internal parts are interchangeable as I've never tried or (yet) studied 'N' schematics, but I doubt it. I would go for a 220, but they seem more difficult to find, and it took me time to find a new bail arm (from Canada, if I remember correctly). I hasten to add there are learned people on this forum who know much more than I about them, but I've always been able to find springs, rollers, other parts, etc. They are pretty bomb proof, great clutch (and sound!) and along with Sup Matic and Abu, are my standard reels on glass (Altex, Ambidex, Intrepid Continental for cane).

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

The 220 is a lovely reel and you could use it for pretty much anything? The quality and engineering is first class, very smooth running and with a clutch mechanism to rival the best. The reel is not super light weight but not over heavy either, it just seems to feel right on the rod and a pleasure to use.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

I have found the following link to be an excellent resource regarding DAM spinning reels. http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html. I have a couple myself which I purchased from Germany. A 1958 Quick Finessa 280 and 1964 Quick Finessa 285. Both are in good condition and are built akin to tanks. I hope this helps
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Thank you all for confirming that the 220 is probably the one for me when I find something that fits with my budget I will post a picture or 2 hopefully including a fish, if the fishing gods permit me such a luxury :Beg:

Thanks once again gentlemen I knew you wouldn't let me down

:cheers: GB

Return to “DAM Reels”