How to service a DAM Quick Finessa reel (285/330 and many others)

The DAM Reels forum.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

How to service a DAM Quick Finessa reel (285/330 and many others)

Post by OldTackle »

Due to some questions about these reels I forced myself to dig out one of my reports I sent along when I serviced these reels for other members. I realised that I never created a thread with these pictures but I think that should be part in here. Luckily I found them in my mail account. So here we go in example of the DAM Quick Finessa (285 series, 330's and a lot of others accordingly):

main gear, one of the most important parts in terms of cleaning - still fine condition. I polished the gear shaft already.

a little bushing also polished already. These little fellas are resposible that there is no play or movement in the mechanic.

Main parts bushing, washers, ball bearing and lock springs. That’s already almost it. Very genious!

The ball bearing „Germany“ stamped on it. The first one I have seen on these reels which was capsuled from the top. Most of the others are open and have a loose washer on top (most probably meaning it has been serviced at some point). This capsuled ball bearing keep dirt away. Made to last long!

Here from the other side. Open but facing to the inside of the reel. So no capsule necessary.

spins with a flick. Still nice for a 60 year old part. Be careful when placing in a vice. Once bent, the spindle doesn't move up and down freely anymore! Put the hex nut on and clamp that slightly. Also when trying to replace the bearing.

special ball bearing grease has to be aplied. Of course then it does not spin that freely anymore. Can be thinned with some light oil if wanted.

Secured again.

ReelX Medium special reel grease applied before locked into place.

Ready for the rotor head.

feather spring disc bent back into shape...

handle back on. That’s where the spring disc goes back in between.

Full metal pin instead of a hollowed cheap one.

Side plate left in its vintage state. I think the color comes from the coating. I think it is a sort of anodised paint on the outside. Quite resistive!

unpolished spool shaft.

polished again.

Almost ready for some new decades on the bank.

The bail arm usually has a black plastic knob. If that is missing the bail arm can occasionally sit a bit loose but usually that's only cosmetic. I have tried with blackened epoxy (simply used a drop of Indian ink) to a beautiful final state but that's a bit messy and completely unnecessary.
I have never held a reel of these with a weak bail arm spring but as stated from Nobby in another post, in some versions it can be set into off-tension position which is also nice for transportation. Note: All N Series have this option by pushing in the knob underneath the screw opposite of the line roller.

:Hat:
Last edited by OldTackle on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: How to service a DAM Quick Finessa reel (285/330 and many others)

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Thank you for that, most helpful! I have already serviced one but it's good to have a photographic record for the next one. It also confirms there are no washers etc missing when you open one up! :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Thank you, Chris! Now I feel a little more confident before I open up my 330 ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Good to know there is someone who can fix my reel if I decide to open mine and can't put it back together hahaha

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Thanks for that. I had never seen inside a DAM reel before. It looks to be a really nicely engineered reel.

Return to “DAM Reels”