DAM Quick Super bearing race?

The DAM Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

DAM Quick Super bearing race?

Post by Cat »

Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with DAM Quick Super reels, and in particular, the bearing race? Lovely reel (if a tad big and heavy!) but, when I've stripped it all down, cleaned, greased, oiled, etc, it's still a tad rough.
The bearing race appears to be a sealed unit that I don't want to try to force open in case I damage it. I've packed lovely new grease around it, and haven't degreased (and thus washed out any original grease). In comparison, the ball bearings of 330's are accessible - thus enabling cleaning and regreasing - so both of mine run sewing machine esque after servicing.
Any suggestions appreciated as I'd love to put it to use on an Edgar Sealey Carp Master, although I hasten to add it is useable, just a bit 'grindy'. Can't seem to find a schematic, although I haven't yet contacted the very helpful Roland as yet.
Thanks Cat.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: DAM Quick Super bearing race?

Post by Liphook »

A photograph would help a lot Cat. Is the bearing removable? If so then can you pull it out in one piece? Can the shields (if present) be prised off with a needle? I clean bearings in lighter fuel and then dry and oil or re pack with suitable grease depending on their function. Sorry to be vague and pose only questions!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Liphook,
Thanks for the response...I'll have a proper look again this weekend, and take a photo if i don't manage to get anywhere.
The whole race is removable, but I didn't try to prize open the sheilds. However, I will have a prod around with a decent sized needle. I just don't want to damage it as I think sourcing a replacement will be like trying to find hen's teeth, well, at least one tooth.
Thanks again Cat.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You should be able to buy another bearing with ease as they are all of metric dimensions. Sites like these make it easy if you first measure your existing bearing with a pair of vernier calipers:

http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/

https://www.bearingstation.co.uk/products/Bearings

But it may well be that the original bearing just wants cleaning, of course. You should be able to pop the bearing out and remove its rear most dust seal. There's no need for a rear seal really so leave it out...particularly if it gets distorted removing it.

Soak the bearing in petrol, or similar, and shake it to flush it out. You could now blow it with an airline, but don't let it spin unlubricated too fast....in theory it might get damaged.

Dry the bearing on a boiler or in the airing cupboard, laying open side down on a bit of kitchen roll.

A dry bearing often feels 'gritty', so don't worry if it still isn't perfect, but lubricate it with a medium grease such as HMP ( high melting point) from Halfords or similar.

You can use lighter greases for a smoother turn, but they do tend to let a bearing run a little noisier. I particularly recommend Reel X Soft grease for these bearing, but it costs a fortune at about £8 for a little tub! Their medium is a little quieter, but is just as dear.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks Nobby (and Liphook), I stripped it down again, got the back off the race (with needle), cleaned out with petrol, dryed, regreased and put back minus the rear seal. There is a definite improvement, but I'll look to get a brand new race to make perfect. I suppose on a reel that is 55+ years old, and not knowing how much use and servicing it has had (if any) over the years, it's fair to fit a new bearing set. I assume that it should be of an equivalent smoothness of a nicely serviced and greased 330 or other family member.
Nice big carp reel though, that will be a test for a gammy shoulder!
Thanks for your help...really appreciated.
Cat.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Delighted you got it sorted Cat. Nobby''s reply was more apt than my attempt :Hat: It's amazing how fitting new bearings (or the replacement of bushes with bearings) can transform a reel. As an avid all rounder who lives on the coast and enjoys a cast for bass and codling, I'm constantly tinkering with reels to keep them running as they should. By far the best reel grease I've found is the blue Yamaha Marine that comes in a tube. Close to a lifetimes supply for £9.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I hadn't heard about the Yamaha grease!

Were you able to clean, polish and lubricate the handle shaft, Cat? It's sometimes necessary to drift out a pin to remove the handle on DAM and ABU reels, but not all models. This can make a huge difference!

The other thing is to polish the axle or shaft the spool fits on the end of...this and its tunnel can add a 'gritty' feel with just a tiny bit of roughness visible.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Nobby, it was through searching for reel schematics a few years ago that I happened on to Alan Tani's reel website and forum. It's a great resource that I imagine would be of interest to any reel tinkerer. Most of it is saltwater multiplier oriented but it's a mine of superb information on all sorts of topics. In his service tutorials he recommended the Yamaha blue grease so when I spotted some at a local boat jumble I bought a tube. It is excellent and the tube is huge! I'd say its potentially the same grease that Penn use and sell? He also recommend TG Rocket Fuel liquid grease for lighter application's (like deliberately slowing spool bearings on multipliers or heating by standing in hot water to penetrate awkward parts) and Cals Drag grease for the obvious, again both are excellent products for their specific applications.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you both, and apologies, but I've been in the village of London for a couple of days. If, and when I get a chance, I'll have another go this weekend. I'm thinking particularly sticky grease! Obviously, I'll let you know how I get on.

Return to “DAM Reels”