Dam Quick Standard?

The DAM Reels forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Dam Quick Standard?

Post by Lea Dweller »

Here are some pictures of a reel that I have recently acquired, it is a lovely example that I have been told was made after April 1952 but before the end of 1953. I have seen pictures of a Dam Quick Standard reel that Bob Brookes has and mine is almost but not quite identical. Bob's is named Quick Standard on the casing, mine does not have Standard on the casing. Evidently the handle on mine has been changed from the straight crank arm with a black handle grip, to a folding crank handle with a flat red handle grip. This change of handle will evidently devalue the price to a collector, but I bought it to use so I am not concerned. It has the number 028350 stamped on the reel foot and will make a nice partner for my Dam Quick 330 that I bought from Nobby. It is in amazing condition for a reel that is now 65 years old!ImageImageImageImage
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Dam Quick Standard?

Post by Bob Brookes »

A very nice reel LD. :Hat:
The clutch is amazingly good for a reel of that period. I have hooked and landed decent carp and barbel on mine by playing ‘off the clutch’ without dramas. Catch too many like that and be prepared for line twist though. Someone may just come up with the correct handle for you. :Beg:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

You lucky chap LD. The first time I saw one of those, all I could think was, "Want! Want!" Love the shape. Sadly, I'm still looking!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am A very nice reel LD. :Hat:
The clutch is amazingly good for a reel of that period. I have hooked and landed decent carp and barbel on mine by playing ‘off the clutch’ without dramas. Catch too many like that and be prepared for line twist though. Someone may just come up with the correct handle for you. :Beg:
Thanks Bob, to be honest I don't catch many "big fish" so hopefully line twist will not be a problem. I am assuming that the correct handle on your reel does not fold, so the reason that mine may have been changed was because the replacement does fold? If a correct handle comes up I will get it, but I am happy to use the reel as it is.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Duckett wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:50 am You lucky chap LD. The first time I saw one of those, all I could think was, "Want! Want!" Love the shape. Sadly, I'm still looking!
That is how I felt when I saw it, luckily it was at a reasonable price! :Hat:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice Ted. Another one that is also on my want list. I have quite a number of DAM reels. One or two of those would set me up a treat👌
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

LuckyLuca wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:16 pm Very nice Ted. Another one that is also on my want list. I have quite a number of DAM reels. One or two of those would set me up a treat👌
It is an unusual reel, I had not seen another one until I saw that Bob Brookes had one! I will use it for sure, perhaps with the Dam Quick 330 on another rod! :Hat:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Lea Dweller wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:47 pm
Bob Brookes wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 am A very nice reel LD. :Hat:
Thanks Bob, to be honest I don't catch many "big fish" so hopefully line twist will not be a problem. I am assuming that the correct handle on your reel does not fold, so the reason that mine may have been changed was because the replacement does fold? If a correct handle comes up I will get it, but I am happy to use the reel as it is.
Just got back from 6 days at the Old Gravel Pits. When I get all my chores done I shall take some pictures of mine, focusing on the handle.
As an aside that Milwards spinning rod that you made me buy at Redditch (haha) was used all week and accounted for some nice tench, ide, rudd, bream and one stonking carp. At some stage I shall do a write up on events. :Ok:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi Ted, :Hat:
I have just tapped in Dam Quick Standard into Ebay and there are 5 for sale in Germany, one at an eye watering price. I think that you can see the handle reverses on the stem, rather than the whole lot folding. If you keep looking at eBay Germany and USA you may just find someone selling bits as spares. It would be worth the effort and the cost of posting.
Besties,
Bob
PS: Worth getting the rod restored methinks!
ImageImage

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:18 pm Hi Ted, :Hat:
I have just tapped in Dam Quick Standard into Ebay and there are 5 for sale in Germany, one at an eye watering price. I think that you can see the handle reverses on the stem, rather than the whole lot folding. If you keep looking at eBay Germany and USA you may just find someone selling bits as spares. It would be worth the effort and the cost of posting.
Besties,
Bob
PS: Worth getting the rod restored methinks!
ImageImage
Thanks Bob, I will keep an eye out for an original handle. I am glad that you used the rod, it is a lovely bit of cane, we both know someone that may tidy it up for you! :Wink: :Wink:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “DAM Reels”