mordex ideal?

The Mordex Rods forum.
Punkoldschool

mordex ideal?

Post by Punkoldschool »

I have taken the plunge and bought a 11" mordex ideal float rod with high rings. The only thing is i am starting to wonder if i have bought the right tool for the job.
it will mainly be used for roach about the pound mark in my local canals but i want to be able to use it at my local commy where the record fish is a 20lb carp mostly about the low doubles though (not much in the way of course fishing up here) please tell me I've bought a decent all rounder
just in need of a new old reel now and maybe a pin to play around with

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: mordex ideal?

Post by AshbyCut »

Mordex were made in Sheffield ... and the "Ideal" is what can best be described (by me anyway) as a sort of Jack of All Trades. Not the top flight of makers names ... but like Sheffield had a name for ... solid and dependable, if a bit 'agricultural' ... and as the company motto suggested ... "bent but never broken." The 'Ideal' should be a really solid 'all-rounder' in my view ... never setting the world alight, but more than capable of serving you well. I doubt that they'll ever be worth a fortune, but

Try to find a Mordex Merlin wide drum if you are looking for a centre pin.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Punkoldschool

Post by Punkoldschool »

Thank you that's the sort of reply i was hoping for, a good work horse that will serve me well.

Punkoldschool

Post by Punkoldschool »

well received the rod yesterday and im one happy chap, picked up from the po and ran off to a little local pond that escaped being filled in a couple of years ago during construction of a new hospital thanks to the newts that call it home being protected.
only one little jack pike was tempted but job done rod picked up christened and picked up a creel on the way home :Thumb:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

One little Jack Pike will do if it stops a blank.

Were you Piking POS? or did it take a bait meant for something else?

Gaz

Punkoldschool

Post by Punkoldschool »

Was out looking for perch on the worm, never even realised i had the jack untill the line went slightly off to the side when reeling in to call it a day.
i might have to go back for a pike session at some point, there were a few big swells on the surface that looked promising

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Good to hear that you're happy with your acquisition, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I think but am not quite sure that I picked up one of these rods in a job lot?
Looks like it says Mordex Ideal 11ft? Manufactured by Black Seal ?

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

LuckyLuca wrote:Looks like it says Mordex Ideal 11ft? Manufactured by Black Seal ?
You are quite correct, Sir.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Cheers Mal. Looks like it was 99p well spent! Bit of work needed to bring it back to life but that's my winter evenings sorted.
Got two 12' whole cane beach rods that look like they could make cracking landing net handles plus a few random sections for donor spares as well.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Mordex Cane Rods”