Mordex Merlin Grubscrew advice needed

The Mordex Reels forum.
Kev D
Chub

Mordex Merlin Grubscrew advice needed

Post by Kev D »

I've only been a forum member a couple of weeks and appologise for already asking advice but I have a query about a suitable replacement grubscrew for my Merlin.
A friend has very kindly turned me a new centre boss and while he was doing it I gave the reel a bit of a make-over.
The only problem is that the grub screw sits quite proud of the new boss and though it is only a minor thing I would like to replace it with a shorter one.
Should I use a steel one as presently fitted ,or a brass one and what sort of profile should the tip have?
My friend has made a lovely job of the boss !
20190709_174240_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Aitch
Pike

Re: Mordex Merlin Grubscrew advice needed

Post by Aitch »

I'm sorry, I can't help with the grub screw, however I would like to say that the reel looks stunning... I have a pair of Merlins myself and although they work fine, are rather tatty in comparison to your one...

Lovely :Hat: :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes it should indeed be brass so that it will wear and not your centrepin shaft. It will also wear a little 'pip' in the middle that holods a little oil aand that will make the spool turn even easier. The tip of the screw should be a slight curve, in the region of a 4inch diameter circle.

I'm sorry but I don't know the thread pitch used, but I bet it's a BA one. Evert might know? Though perhaps you pal used a different thread anyway?

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Thanks for the advice
It's 6BA thread. It was very tatty when I bought it and was going to be a "bottom of the bag" reel loaded with heavy line in case a pike came along but I think it might deserve better now. Thanks, I'll go with the brass grub screw.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

The brass centre boss that i used does have a M 2.5mm grubscrew. it is possible to take a screw like that and grind the head the same size to 2.5mm and keep the slotted part in tact, very easy to do with a small lathe or even with a drill

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

grinding the screw at the same size and you have a grub screw

Return to “Mordex Reels”