When it comes to Mordexes.....

The Mordex Reels forum.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: When it comes to Mordexes.....

Post by Stathamender »

I think that Mordex reels have some kind of cult following in Germany and the Netherlands. According to Evert there's an active Facebook page. How it got started I don't know. Perhaps our members from round there can enlighten us. The caps are the weak point of Mordex reels, otherwise they're very robust and I can see how a Merlin or Mentor might be a good flyreel with the check on permanently.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

What comes into my mind is that in the old days we were gifted by quality products which lasted over a (if not several) lifetimes. The last decades have swallowed whatever had a quality name once and as much as most of us would wish the Deutsche Mark to come back we did not forget what quality was like. And as the market here in germany for either new (almost not present except for cars MAYYYYBE) nor used products is very very small, we look abroad. So, a reel like the mordex to be a nice looking pin and great to use might have attracted people. And thus manufacturing in germany is out of the price range it does not mean that we lost our knowledge. A great find and very nice to see that there are still some people around who are able to think. Very nice indeed that this piece is manufactured out of brass instead of plastics...

Thumbs up!

Chris
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

It all started on a facebook group after the refurbishing of a Mordex Merlin, the run at these reels was unbelievable and a lot off people want to have a Mordex reel after that lol now i almost have all the models and i am very pleased with them. with that come's the idea to make some caps for the reels. most of the time they where missing or broken. i ordered 12 of these caps for my Mordex reels lol (don,t have them yet) but i am sure they look great on the Merlin, Major, and Mentor reels the Mercury and the Meteor have a nut.
i think it is a great gesture from Vosseler to make the caps

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Evert, do you know anything about Mordex being associated with D.A.M ? I saw a spool of line on here it had D.A.M at the bottom and Mordex at the top, I think it was on one of Leigh's photos.

Edit,

Here is the photo in this thread:-

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16145

I hope Leigh doesn't mind me using his photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd guess that Mordex, like just about everybody else, wanted to offer a full range of tackle so imported line from Germany like others. One, I cant recall who, imported a similar line but called it Damyl....as in DAM-yl

Evert van der Plas
Perch

I think it is interesting to find out, there are also rods with the name Mordex and the black seal label

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Evert van der Plas wrote:I think it is interesting to find out, there are also rods with the name Mordex and the black seal label
They made rods under the Royle Seal label with an image of a black seal and a Latin motto 'flectes non franges' meaning bends but won't break.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Yes that was the one Royal Seal, but have it some connection with Mordex industries Sheffield ? there is nothing to find on the manufacture

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Mordex precision Industries of sheffield made fishing rods as well as reels. For their rods they used the logo Royle Seal (please note the spelling of "Royle") I believe that they subcontracted the making of the rods to another firm in Sheffield but can tell you no more.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I think Mordex did a lot of rebadging - I've seen all sorts of tackle with their name on - but all they actually made themselves were the reels. The deal with DAM might have been an exchange one with DAM selling or distributing their reels in Europe. There appears to be little trace of them left on the Web and appeals for info on local history forums haven't produced anything. I'm back in Sheffield in a couple of weeks time so I'll see if I can do some proper research on them and find out more.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Mordex Reels”