Mordex Merlin Mystery

The Mordex Reels forum.
Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Mordex Merlin Mystery

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I wonder if we have any Mordex Merlin experts amongst us.

I've had my Merlin centrepin for a good few years now and though that it was the bog standard version. I was unaware of any different variants when it first came into my possession.

Over the years I noticed that there was another version with a different back. On checking this out further I discovered that there was another version on top of this. Very interesting and somewhat puzzling.

There is what appears to be the "dimpled back" version, which appears to have a cast alloy back with a dimpled pattern on it and three lugs to take a brass line guard in two optional positions. The other version is exactly the same but has no provision for the line guard having no lugs present. These haven't broken off or been machined off post productrion as examples of this reel show the original paint in place. The 3rd version has a flat "non dimpled" back. At first I suspected that this was a stamped back casing as a cheaper alternative to casting, but on closer inspection it too is cast not stamped. All versions seem to have the same stamped aluminium spools and quick release and the partially dismanteled reel in the picture is a recent eBay purchase expected in the post tomorrow, and I fully expect the spool sizes and release fitting to be identical. Note -on the non dimpled version the ratchet switch is of a much simpler design and has moved to the rim.

I intially thought that the sequence of models would be the dimpled version to be the original, offered with or without line guard followed by a cheaper non dimpled version, but due to it all being stamped and cast in exactly the same manner, I can't see any technical or financial reason for going down this route.

Dimpled version with line guard provision

Dimpled version with no line guard provision

plain back version with different ratchet lever

Can anyone shed any light or reasoning or history behind these variants?

Cheers
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Chevin
Brown Trout

Re: Mordex Merlin Mystery

Post by Chevin »

Cant really answer for sure but that 1st picture has the same back as a Mordex Reel I once owned, it wasnt a Merlin either, pretty sure it was a meteor or mentor, something like that. Perhaps they were a bit like G&Y and used what was ever in the box.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Probably a lot of mileage in that explanation. They all have the original transfers intact naming them as Merlin's.

Also I've never heard of "deluxe" or "special" versions either
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The pressed backplate version is the earliest, later ones having a cast body, I believe. It also has a lever-operated clutch.

I think that possibly the 'lugless' reel is a Merlin spool fitted to another reels backplate. Some do seem to be interchangeable.

There is also Merlins out there with triangular handles as well as round ones...Ithink the triangular ones are the later ones..possibly :Brickwall:

The very last Mordex reels have plastic clutch levers....and worse still...the operating arm on the inside is plastic too.....they break!

The thin-walled early Merlins...indeed, all Mordex reels had the thin body initially ,are a good deal lighter, but are quite rare.

Another variation is the colour, from khaki to olive green.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Thanks Nobby, it's starting to fall into place a bit.

The flat backed version has indeed got round, smaller handles. Although my ear!ier impression was that the back was pressed I later reconsidered as the foot assembly is thicker than the surrounding metal of the back. Maybe comes like this and then pressed/stamped later.

The dimpled back version arrived in the post today and although it is a basket case it is possibly to offer it up to the earlier backplate and it's a perfect fit. All other dimensions are the same also but it has the triangular handles as per your post.

So it looks like I have got an early version and a later version. The later version which is missing everything apart from the back and two spool flanges is a project piece bought for £8. Watch this space :Wink:

An interesting point is although the two ratchet assemblies are different, one on the rim, the other on the back, the holes for the mechanism are identical on both. Although the levers moved between versions the internals stayed the same making it easier for me to copy for the rebuild.

Return to “Mordex Reels”