Quick !!!!!......is this reel any good ?

The Mordex Reels forum.
Robbi
Tench

Re: Quick !!!!!......is this reel any good ?

Post by Robbi »

i might have got a FREE wobble :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I hope your vendor puts it in a decent box - they're a bit prone to spool-warp in transit if merely bubble-wrapped.
Good pin and bush, fragile plastic release cap, no micro-drag, and the spoke-heads on that out-turned flange will bite your line if you let any slack wander about (which, of course, one shouldn't, but this one in particular is prone to lapse). Maker's label usually fallen off.
Yours looks ok, at least the release cap's there! Ideal reel for practice sessions, as it will point out any bad habits; once you've educated your thumb or little finger (depending on whether you use the reel above or below the rod-hand) it's as friendly as a Speedia.
If it's as good as it looks, you've done well - enjoy!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Loop Erimder wrote:Its a Mordex Merlin
You beat me to it Loop. I seem to remember they were made by Youngs but I could be completely wrong.

Troutbeck
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Mordex Precision Engineers, Sheffield. They made rods too. The plastic centre-boss is prone to warping out of shape if the three screws are over-tightened.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Nobby wrote:The plastic centre-boss is prone to warping out of shape if the three screws are over-tightened.
And dropping into many small pieces - it is prone to being brittle.

I like the Mordexes, they are good no nonsense reels. Ideal for barbel and carp. The reel in my avatar is a Mordex Major which has the same back as the Merlin but a different drum.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Loop Erimder wrote:Its a Mordex Merlin

:Ok: seconded. Not a shoddy reel at all. They are, I am led to believe slightly weak in the boss area so care needs to be taken. Other than that a very nice user reel.

Edit: all sent before I saw the other replies :Scared:
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Member BarryK was making new boses for them I think.

One other weakness, only on later reels, is that they changed the composition of the check lever and the arm it turns inside the reel to plastic........Lord knows why...that plastic gets all brittle with time.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i nearly brought another one (i've had them before) at redditch fair ,£5 out of a bargin box ,wish i had now .i could of bunged it strait on e-bay and made a killing ,sign of the times they used too sell for a lot less .personally i prefer the older model with the smooth back ,i don't like the bobbly backs ,but they are a half decent reel & if the paintwork is tatty .nitro mor's will make quick work of it .they look great stripped and polished.

I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Nobby wrote:Member BarryK was making new boses for them I think.

One other weakness, only on later reels, is that they changed the composition of the check lever and the arm it turns inside the reel to plastic........Lord knows why...that plastic gets all brittle with time.
Made before the realisation that plastic needed to be UV stabilised. Though, I've made Freight Rover van front bumpers where I only had to touch them with my little finger and they shattered :Hide: Not my fault though as I had no control over the chemical mix. What made me mad :Angry: was the fact that I was told to carry on despite telling my bosses about this! I have always hated producing rubbish but have had to do so at more than one manufacturing plant.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Mordex Reels”