I’d like a Hardy Altex... but!

The Hardy Reels forum.
Gsmn1
Gudgeon

I’d like a Hardy Altex... but!

Post by Gsmn1 »

I’d like a Hardy Altex, but i am a novice to this brand and marque. In my initial research I am coming to the conclusion that I may have a few things to look out for. This thread is designed to garner enough practical info to arm me with enough confidence to buy/ invest in a ‘keeper’.

Which model?
What should I look out for?
How much should I expect to pay?

Consider the intended quarry as the chub. Perhaps happening on the occasional barbel. Touch ledgering (or similar). Attached to a Paul Cook Fred Crouch Barbel Perfection.

Any insights, views, recommendations or advice is gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Here’s hoping...

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: I’d like a Hardy Altex... but!

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Altex No. 2 is the one to go for. Bail arm springs are hard to get and expensive. I bought a 'new' one several years ago, I keep it for special occasions.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Agreed the No2 is a good all round coarse fishing reel.

Beware the dealers are clubbing together on a certain website, so the prices are currently inflated by £50+

Put a post on the wanted section on here, keep an eye on general local on line auctions

Good choice btw.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

May I suggest you look out for a No. 2 Mk. V ... full bail arm, left hand wind, and a (very useful) anti reverse mechanism fitted, operated by a sliding button on top of the base just under the flyer.

Mine may be 'cosmetically challenged,' but that doesn't stop it working perfectly !

Mine is also a little ... well ... 'odd' ... or should that be 'special' ... as the flyer has been 'ventilated', perhaps by a previous owner to save weight .. or even as a 'factory custom' to a customers order !

PM on it's way.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:31 pm May I suggest you look out for a No. 2 Mk. V ... full bail arm, left hand wind, and a (very useful) anti reverse mechanism fitted, operated by a sliding button on top of the base just under the flyer.

Mine may be 'cosmetically challenged,' but that doesn't stop it working perfectly !

Mine is also a little ... well ... 'odd' ... or should that be 'special' ... as the flyer has been 'ventilated', perhaps by a previous owner to save weight .. or even as a 'factory custom' to a customers order !

PM on it's way.
Great example Mal. I'm looking for one just like that.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Good advice above + there is much excellent information on the TFF regarding the Altex. Replacement springs are worth their weight in gold, but Garry Mills will make them, and you do see them on the Bay of Plenty (at a premium)! Things to watch out for include worn roller (may be turned around), weak spring, bent foot stem (seems to be more of a No3 issue), correct issue of washers and spring (see photo above), bent bail arm, damaged / worn spring cover. Try to get one that is as smooth as possible as they are virtually impossible to take fully apart and put back together! Oil into the bearings through the side port and then dripped onto the worm gear. Lovely to use, a challenge to service and clean...invest in a cotton bud company. I believe there are some 'crunchy' dogs out there, but have only come across one myself that I just couldn't get the bearings smooth on (now used for parts)! I think Nobby said that trying to make a bad one good is a challenge!
Regards Cat

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Get yourself an Abu 44x in my opinion a far superior reel that still looks good on cane ( i have used an Altex in the past and had issues with the line catching in the roller on the bail, the last thing you want with a large and powerful fish on. The Abu is bombproof , parts are easier to source Les Shaw has an abundance, super fast retrieve and good looks.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I like AC''s use of the word flyer for the rotor - very period! I too would go for the ABU though. No offence :Hat:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Up until about 5 years ago I was a purchasing manager at a small engineering company and often had to source bespoke springs (we had approximately 220 different types in stock for machine builds and would buy in quantities of 500 to 2000 at a time)
These folks would always come up with the goods
https://www.europeansprings.com/contact ... -cornwall/
If an engineering drawing is not available to work from, a sample spring was usually enough to be able to reproduce any amount required. 1 offs could be pricey but quantities of 20 or more would drop the price dramatically.
I tend to make my own from a donor spring of similar dimensions now, admittedly with varying degrees of success.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon,I used to make my own springs from piano wire ,you can buy the right thickness of wire from model shops,also a pair of round nosed pliers it’s not to difficult to bend and needs no heat treatment.Reelmaker

Return to “Hardy Reels”