Hardy Silex 3 1/2 in. circa 1910.

The Hardy Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Hardy Silex 3 1/2 in. circa 1910.

Post by AshbyCut »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:16 pmMal, I didn't realise that you were back fishing. I thought that you were still in self-isolation. Hope that you get some good weather to try out the new reel. :Thumb:
Not yes, Sir ... still in self imposed isolation, helped now by the fact My Fair Lady was 'furloughed' when the latest restrictions came into force.

Still, I can plan for the start of the new season on June (see the latest entry in my 'journal') ... by when I hope I can venture out. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Well, you have my hopes riding with you too :Hat:

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Thats a very nice reel, I do find the Ist model Silex with the three rim control one of the most aesthetically pleasing reels that Hardy produced.

The reason that the design was changed for the Silex No2 was that Hardy Brothers had signed an agreement with Wadham & Scott to use the new patent that had been granted in 1909. The original Silex patent was coming to its end of life. Hardy's were all about making money hence the demise of the Silex, which they had to pay Dingley 6d for every reel sold. They would start to pay Wadham & Scott 6d for use of a patent that had 16 years to run. In return Wadham & Scott had to pay Hardy's 6d for every Meteor reel made. They inspected their books every years but would not let Wadham & Scott inspect theirs. Strangely enough Wadham & Scott signed up for it.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

StefanDuma wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:07 pm Thats a very nice reel, I do find the Ist model Silex with the three rim control one of the most aesthetically pleasing reels that Hardy produced.

The reason that the design was changed for the Silex No2 was that Hardy Brothers had signed an agreement with Wadham & Scott to use the new patent that had been granted in 1909. The original Silex patent was coming to its end of life. Hardy's were all about making money hence the demise of the Silex, which they had to pay Dingley 6d for every reel sold. They would start to pay Wadham & Scott 6d for use of a patent that had 16 years to run. In return Wadham & Scott had to pay Hardy's 6d for every Meteor reel made. They inspected their books every years but would not let Wadham & Scott inspect theirs. Strangely enough Wadham & Scott signed up for it.
Great info as ever Stefan, although John Drewetts book covers the silexes very comprehensively, a book dedicated to silex reels would be a great addition to my library :Hat:

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Well Paul since JD's book came out there has been at least 5 which where completely unknown and they are all slightly different with one which I wrote about in the ATO a few years after the book came out.
There are also 3 Slater all brass reels like are almost the spitting image of the first model except they have no rim mounted controls.
The problem is finding and persuading someone to do it, I don't know enough and JD I don't think has the inclination.
Maybe we should start a petition?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

StefanDuma wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:07 pmMaybe we should start a petition?
Where do I sign ??? :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

What a cracker! When I see these old beauties/classics in this case 111 years old I think of its own story: Its owners, its fish its reeled in , its tangles and all the angling stories that would flow..

Return to “Hardy Reels”