Hardy Match Fishers Reel

The Hardy Reels forum.
AllRounder
Brown Trout

Hardy Match Fishers Reel

Post by AllRounder »

The opportunity to acquire this rare Match Fishers reel presented itself some weeks ago now and was taken without a moments hesitation.
My late teens and early twenties were spent match fishing the local canals and along with my interest in Hardy reels made this a simple “must have” decision.

The reel is a cross between a fixed spool and centrepin with a reversible spool turning through 90 degrees to aid casting and turning back to retrieve with the aid of a line guide hook. Since the reel was designed without a check mechanism the problem of line twist presumably generated by casting off the side was resolved by turning the spool around so the reel could be used with the line coming off the top or bottom of the spool and a fish played by finger pressure on the spool or drum.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Designed by Leslie Gordon Turnill himself a keen match angler Just 280 were produced from 1937 - 1939 production then ending with the outbreak of war.

The reel was listed in the the Hardy’s 1937 Super Bottom Fishing catalogue and was detailed across four pages. Priced at 30/- it fell in line with the Eureka and Wallis No.2 models.

ImageImage

Although it’s sounds quite complicated I’m hoping to give it a days outing before too long which should be interesting as it’s right hand wind only! :Confused:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Hardy Match Fishers Reel

Post by AshbyCut »

Oh My !!! Now THAT looks utterly splendid, and has firmly been planted in my 'bucket list' !!!

A great find ... and in such condition. Well done, Sir !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Lovely reel in beautiful condition :Thumb:

But that 'match fisher's' line in the illustrations :Chuckle:

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

In near 25 years of attending auctions, fairs and the internet i have never seen one of those.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

That is a lovely example Allrounder, in good condition, and far too useful to be left on a display shelf.

I have never seen one before, so they must be a rare item and quite desirable .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done! That is a wonderful example of a rare reel! I have seen only two or three offered for sale in the last ten years, so whatever you paid it was worth it! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I have seen this reel, and it is the best example i have ever seen, it has has very little use, a truly super rare reel. :Thumb:

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Thats a great find and buy, no idea what you paid. but its a rare reel and the condition looks fantastic.

Always buy the best example you can find and afford.

Well done sit.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

It just oozes quality.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Fredline wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:05 pm It just oozes quality.
Doesn't it just!
What a beautifully engineered reel you have there AllRounder :Hat:
Has it ever seen a line before?
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Hardy Reels”