Hardy "Hardex No 1 Mk 1"

The Hardy Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy "Hardex No 1 Mk 1"

Post by AshbyCut »

Is this the ultimate 'tiddler snatcher' reel ?????

I've been on the lookout for a long time for a good example of this wonderful little pre-WW2 reel ... introduced in 1937 as a 'budget market' support for the hugely popular 'Altex.'

The Mark 1 proved so successful (1,984 were made in the first year alone) that in 1939 the "No. 2" was introduced. As I already had a "No. 2 Mk. 2" I have added a photo of the 2 together to show the size difference.

The gearing on the Hardex is 'direct,' with the No. 1 giving a take up ratio of the chromed flyer of 2.5:1, and the larger No. 2 2.75:1. To say they run 'sewing machine smooth' is an understatement !

This No. 1 Mk. 1 bears the makers initials "T.H" ... Thomas Hall ... though it seems that the list of initials I have seen needs some updating, as it shows he worked for the company only between 1928 and 1930. and the reel wasn't introduced until 1937.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Hardy "Hardex No 1 Mk 1"

Post by Pallenpool »

A fabulous reel - and a rather fine example Sir!
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Its the only fixed spool reel I have in my collection. It belonged to my grandfather.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The first hardy reel I owned. Mint in box too.
Sadly I sold it in a moment of weakness and have regretted it since.

A nice addition Mal. "The Tiddler Perfection " reel.

Wal.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

That is exquisite Mal... the perfect small river reel (next to a pin of course :Cool: )
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Aitch wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:42 am That is exquisite Mal... the perfect small river reel (next to a pin of course :Cool: )
Thats it exactly Aitch, perfect for casting half a pinky to the far bank for those elusive sticklebacks.

Wal.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Half a Pinkie....???? Blimey Wal... that's going loaded for bear.... I use a slice of squatt on a size 32 :Hahaha: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:21 am
Aitch wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:42 am That is exquisite Mal... the perfect small river reel (next to a pin of course :Cool: )
Thats it exactly Aitch, perfect for casting half a pinky to the far bank for those elusive sticklebacks.

Wal.
The sort of reel that might have been used by the hero in this (abbreviated) quote from H G Welles book, "The History of My. Polly" ...

" ONE summer afternoon about five years after his first coming to the Potwell Inn Mr. Polly found himself sitting under the pollard willow fishing for dace. It was the first time he had found leisure to fish, though from the very outset of his Potwell career he had promised himself abundant indulgence in the pleasures of fishing. Fishing, as the golden page of English literature testifies, is a meditative and retrospective pursuit."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

What a brilliant film that is Mal, one of my favourit all time movies.

The reel would be in the perfect setting.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Aitch wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:51 am Half a Pinkie....???? Blimey Wal... that's going loaded for bear.... I use a slice of squatt on a size 32 :Hahaha: :Hat:
I always target the bigger fish Aitch. Never use anything under a size 24 or you get tormented by nuisance fish all day. :Chuckle:

Return to “Hardy Reels”