Hardy 4 inch 'Triumph'

The Hardy Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy 4 inch 'Triumph'

Post by AshbyCut »

Having recently treated myself to the 3 1/4" version of this reel, I simply couldn't resist this 4 inch example.

Introduced in 1937 in two drum sizes ... 1/2in wide and 11/16in wide ... this is the wider of the two versions, and weighs in at 5.6oz.

Initials stamped inside the back plate show it was actually made by Addie Pringle, who worked for the company between 1933 and 1939 ... so it's easy to date this reel to the two years before the outbreak of WW2.

I've shown it in the first photo alongside it's 3 1/4" brother for scale ... the smaller having been made by Wilf Sinton, who worked for Hardy's from 1929 to 1939.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Crucian
Eel

Re: Hardy 4 inch 'Triumph'

Post by Crucian »

Lovely reel, pure class...

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Agreed - pure class and the optimum size for me a totally superb pin - an acquisition I am sure you will enjoy using - a lot.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

That is a lovely reel Sir, may it serve you well!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Both reels are classic's, superb examples! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

4" is my favourite size for centrepins. They were a budget reel compared with the Eurekas and Wallis reels. Being winches and not true centrepins, just as the Eurekas and Wallis no.2's , but quite fishable. I had 4" Triumph once and sold it to a gentleman whose reel had faults in the drum whilst mine had faults in the backplate so he was able to make a good one from the two.

Return to “Hardy Reels”