Hardy "Eureka" 3 1/2 inch.

The Hardy Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy "Eureka" 3 1/2 inch.

Post by AshbyCut »

If you have seen my latest post in the Hardy Rods thread ... you will understand why I couldn't resist adding this reel to my tackle box !

I already had a 4 inch version of the last evolution of this reel, so grabbed at the chance of a near-mint example of the 3 1/2 inch version.

These reels were available only between 1953 and 1956, I believe, and can be distinguished by the ratchet being engaged by a rotating knob on the back plate rather than a lever mechanism.

Roll on the 2021/2 season !!!

(More photos to follow)

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ambidexman
Bleak

Re: Hardy "Eureka" 3 1/2 inch.

Post by Ambidexman »

What a cracker! Beautiful reel and a lovely find :Hat:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

That is lovely Mal!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning fellow friends,I had noticed the mint Hardy reel on the Quality Vintage Tackle website thinking that the best I’ve ever seen just checking it’s just been sold,I guess to Mal lucky gent ,I spend a lot of time checking these websites an obsession I think,it passes the time in lockdown.Reelmaker

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

More photos, as promised.

Delighted with the condition of the reel, which weighs in at a mere 5.5oz. (156gr). The fur lined suede pouch is in splendid condition too !!!

Image Image Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

That’s as good as new .enjoy with the Hardy Roach rod Reelmaker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Nice combo Mal, I look forward to giving it a good work out at the OGP's next time we meet up. :Chuckle:

Stay safe old pal.
Wal.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

One of my favorite coarse reels Mal, I have several but I've never seen one in that condition
Keep well
Mike
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I'm pretty sure that this reel is the post_war version. Pre_war models had curved writing on the backplate and lever check. The earliest models from late '20's early '30's had a cut_out in the cage, because they didn't have an exposed rim, for braking purposes, plus the holes in the front face were not all the same size. Bernard venables fished with one so can't be bad.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

OhMyGoodness wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:58 pm I'm pretty sure that this reel is the post_war version. Pre_war models had curved writing on the backplate and lever check. The earliest models from late '20's early '30's had a cut_out in the cage, because they didn't have an exposed rim, for braking purposes, plus the holes in the front face were not all the same size. Bernard venables fished with one so can't be bad.
Yes, Sir ... as I said in my original post "These reels were available only between 1953 and 1956, I believe, and can be distinguished by the ratchet being engaged by a rotating knob on the back plate rather than a lever mechanism."

Return to “Hardy Reels”