Hardy Altex Question

The Hardy Reels forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Hardy Altex Question

Post by Silfield »

I have to admit that the first time I clapped eyes on an Altex I was not a fan but with a couple more years under my belt and having had a 'play' with one they are growing on me, so much so that I have a little savings pot growing slowly but steadily for a future purchase (if the wife doesn't find it first!). I think being an engineer has made me appreciate the skills involved in making them.
Is there a written/pictorial guide available that shows the different models through the production run and are the spools the same size on all models produced? I often see them advertised as suitable for 'general coarse fishing' or 'carp and pike' etc so had assumed rightly or wrongly that they made them in different sizes.
Can anyone help clear this up for me?
Thanks.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Cat
Chub

Re: Hardy Altex Question

Post by Cat »

Hi Silfield,
There's loads of really good posts on here about the 3 different Altex reels. No2 MkV, the middle version of the three, seems the most popular and adaptable, particularly with the on / off anti reverse switch...the max line I use on mine is 9lb. No3 is bigger (again with the switch!) for carp, salmon, pike, but really not a 'caster'...I use 10 and 12lb line for margin carp. I don't own the smallest No1, so am unable to comment. Spool sizes are different for the three different models. The clutch is to die for, they look great on cane and are a joy to use as long as you're not in a hurry (and not wanting to cast to the horizon).
Buy the best you can afford as they are a challenge to service, and access to the bearings gets quite serious (I've never attempted it, and am pretty useful and confident with servicing!). Springs are as rare as rocking horse poo, They are quite easily damaged - knocks to the flyer, spring cover (wear and knocks), bail arm, bent handles and I've seen a few with bent stems. There may be some dogs out there!
Enjoy, and wait for some more excellent advice off other members.
Regards Cat

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

PS make sure it comes with the correct washers and spring in the spool. The other thing to look for is grooving to the line guide, although this can usually be turned, although a DAM 220 / 330 one may be made to fit on a No3.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks Cat, it all makes a lot of sense now that you have explained it :Hat:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Hardy Reels”