Altex MkVI!

The Hardy Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Altex MkVI!

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
There's a Altex MkVI on Turner's website at the moment. Interesting photos.
Regards Cat

Duckett
Tench

Re: Altex MkVI!

Post by Duckett »

Blimey! I didn’t even realise there was a MkVI! Love the different coloured star drag buttons on each spool but wonder if something is missing from the black one?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Duckett wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pmBlimey! I didn’t even realise there was a MkVI!
About the rarity, Duckett Sir ... reference is made in "Hardy Brothers. The Masters, The Men, and Their Reels." (pub. J & J Publishing. 1998.), John Drewett writes (page 322) :-

"With regard to scarcity, it is the MK VI which must remain the hardest of all the production marks to acquire. Hardy's attempt to cut production costs had by now caused such items as ratchet slide, spool bearing and clutch nob* to be made of plastic. The angling public, it would appear, were not impressed and the MARK VI was swiftly withdrawn with, it is thought, only one or two dozen having been made."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

AshbyCut wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Duckett wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pmBlimey! I didn’t even realise there was a MkVI!
About the rarity, Duckett Sir ... reference is made in "Hardy Brothers. The Masters, The Men, and Their Reels." (pub. J & J Publishing. 1998.), John Drewett writes (page 322) :-

"With regard to scarcity, it is the MK VI which must remain the hardest of all the production marks to acquire. Hardy's attempt to cut production costs had by now caused such items as ratchet slide, spool bearing and clutch nob* to be made of plastic. The angling public, it would appear, were not impressed and the MARK VI was swiftly withdrawn with, it is thought, only one or two dozen having been made."
Thank you Mal, that’s very interesting.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did once read that these reels were never released for sale and that any that are 'out there' are the results of the actions of a disgruntled ex employee.

I have no idea if this is true and I can't remember where I read it.

Return to “Hardy Reels”