Altex no2 MkV

The Hardy Reels forum.
Banksy
Brown Trout

Re: Altex no2 MkV

Post by Banksy »

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the rear plate numbers are just the numbers of the various patents which apply to the reel, so at best these may give you a window within which the reel was made?

I bought my first a few years ago, and thought it ok. A bit "sticky" at times, rather "geary" and a very slow retrieve. At first I had to look at the reel to make sure that it was winding in!
But my second, bought blind at auction, is a revelation. Smooth, no play, and a snappy bale arm.
Jack Luke built both of mine, a busy chap.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The gear driven bail reels are usually marked as a Mk IIII. Not too successful to be frank, but beautifully made nontheless. Is your rear plate turned over perhaps?

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Banksy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:14 am I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the rear plate numbers are just the numbers of the various patents which apply to the reel, so at best these may give you a window within which the reel was made?

I bought my first a few years ago, and thought it ok. A bit "sticky" at times, rather "geary" and a very slow retrieve. At first I had to look at the reel to make sure that it was winding in!
But my second, bought blind at auction, is a revelation. Smooth, no play, and a snappy bale arm.
Jack Luke built both of mine, a busy chap.
The slow retrieve only feels slow when reeling in fish less I find, if you’re lucky enough to have a fish on(hopefully a decent one) it’s fine, I’m talking from experience with other “Slow” reels Of course! It’s a lovely thing, and I’m sure be a joy to use, maybe tomorrow.......

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Nobby wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:16 pm The gear driven bail reels are usually marked as a Mk IIII. Not too successful to be frank, but beautifully made nontheless. Is your rear plate turned over perhaps?
Interesting thank you, the rear plate is blank on both sides sadly, not that it’ll detract from the use but it would’ve been nice

Regards,

”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

I finally got out yesterday, only to the farm pond but still a chance to christen the “new” reel! I had a great old time and enjoyed using the reel hugely. What a joy it is in operation, and that clutch?! I’ll admit I lost a fish to a hook pull at the start because I hadn’t wound it up enough, but once rectified fish like this caused that lovely Zzzzzzz tick tick tick...

I shall write a full report in my journal but had to post a picture to end the thread

Regards,

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

According to the Hardy book RMS was with them 1916 - 1967!
Not a lot of help.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Deaf Cat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 am According to the Hardy book RMS was with them 1916 - 1967!
Not a lot of help.
Quite the stint! He must’ve made many many reels, I wonder how long each one took...

Regards,

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Superb stuff - once used & heard that clutch is sweet music - and as said addictive- well done on the first outing with the Altex
and a lovely looking common. I look forward to the diary entry of the trip.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:48 pm Superb stuff - once used & heard that clutch is sweet music - and as said addictive- well done on the first outing with the Altex
and a lovely looking common. I look forward to the diary entry of the trip.
:Hat:
Many thanks PP, I’m so glad using the reel was every thing I’d hoped it was, diary entry is now finished

Regards,

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Dipper wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 am I should probably add that the rear plate has no numbers on it and that the initials under the spool indicate that Robert Marshall Scott was the maker.

Is there a way to date it without the rear plate numbers? It’s not clear in the picture but under the folding handle is the anti reverse button, also the bail is spring not gear driven?

Any info gratefully received

Regards,

Lovely stuff , I’ve got one made by RMS too.. as Head Bailiff Mark has mentioned on a thread elsewhere, Robert started with Hardys in 1916!🤯 middle of WW1 as an apprentice no doubt?. Worked there 51 years man and boy. Such a heritage. I feel very honoured to keep mine well loved and in use. Either way all Altex finished production by 1959 if I’ve read that correctly, so my second one ( I know) with antireverse is also older than me. Made by IW that one if I recall.
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Return to “Hardy Reels”