Hardy Pin

The Hardy Reels forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Hardy Pin

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys anyone fish a Hardy pin for carp that has the brake lever? Wanting to know if you hook a chunky carp can you use this braking lever to lock the reel up when you are playing the fish .. thanks hope someone replies ๐ŸŽฃ๐Ÿ‘

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy Pin

Post by Nobby »

Hardy seem to have been obsessed about 100 years ago with making a brake for big fish on their reels...loads of patent applications, though few went into production. Those that did are on their Silex reels mostly and are made for right hand wind unfortunately, and that doesn't suit modern anglers.

Dick Walker got the Brake Bug in the Fifties too and both his 'home-made' reels feature some sort of brake..and he surely had carp on his mind.

I believe Watermole+ recently made just such a reel for a member on here??

Whilst it's great fun I always feel if you let a big carp get some speed up, you're in trouble, better to fight them close-in.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

SharkBoy wrote: โ†‘Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:34 pm Hi guys anyone fish a Hardy pin for carp that has the brake lever? Wanting to know if you hook a chunky carp can you use this braking lever to lock the reel up when you are playing the fish .. thanks hope someone replies ๐ŸŽฃ๐Ÿ‘
In my opinion there is no better brake than a thumb or the flat of your hand against the rim of the reel. You have infinite control and constant feedback from the fish - it's what makes pins so good for playing big fish.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:10 am Hardy seem to have been obsessed about 100 years ago with making a brake for big fish on their reels...loads of patent applications, though few went into production. Those that did are on their Silex reels mostly and are made for right hand wind unfortunately, and that doesn't suit modern anglers.

Dick Walker got the Brake Bug in the Fifties too and both his 'home-made' reels feature some sort of brake..and he surely had carp on his mind.

I believe Watermole+ recently made just such a reel for a member on here??

Whilst it's great fun I always feel if you let a big carp get some speed up, you're in trouble, better to fight them close-in.
You are correct Nobby, Watermole+ did indeed make a reel with a brake fitted, just last year! He made it for Sharkboy and described it as the largest and most challenging reel that he had made! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I use an old 4in Allcocks Aerial Popular - and fingers, palm and thumb. Always fishing close in. If you can spin for salmon with one - after all that's what they were made for - they are good enough for carp! - - Oh and barbel - - - and lots of other fishes!

Return to โ€œHardy Reelsโ€