Hardy Altex line info please

The Hardy Reels forum.
Andyman
Bleak

Hardy Altex line info please

Post by Andyman »

Just taken delivery of my first Hardy Altex, a No.3 Mk V and was really surprised at the size of spools. After stripping the two spools of around 500 yards of line that you could hang your washing on I wondered if anyone knows the capacity of a single spool?
Also any way of estimating the year of manufacture? I know the maker but he was there for over 50 years so not a lot of help.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The reel appears to be in really good condition with most of it's original paint and mechanically very sound.
Hope I get the chance to use it this year as it will be paired with an Allcock's carp rod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's All Too Beautiful but Keep on Rocking in the Free World

Cat
Chub

Re: Hardy Altex line info please

Post by Cat »

Hi Andymam,
Not sure of the exact capacity, but I load mine up with 10lb and 12lb. However, try to ensure it's really supple. It's looks like you have a classic Altex groove in the roller guide, so worth turning it, or alternatively replacing - I've discovered that a guide from a DAM 330 / 220 makes a good substitute, (perhaps with a little file on each end) and they are available new through Mike's Reel Repairs (in Canada), but I'm sure you may find one elsewhere.
Remember to get some oil though to the bearings via the side plate and down the worm gear + give a good clean with cotton buds. Lots posted on here about looking after an Altex...all worth a read.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat

Andyman
Bleak

Post by Andyman »

Thanks for that Cat.
Will take a closer look at the guide.
Pretty clean inside but cotton buds at the ready.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

One things for sure it takes more than you’ll ever need!
I’ve permanently loaded mine with soft braid to leave enough for around 150yds of 10 or 12lb line and it spools up fine.

Andyman
Bleak

Post by Andyman »

Yes, that is pretty much what I had intended doing although probably backing with something a bit cheaper than braid.
Does anyone know if the spools are interchangeable between No 2's and No 3's?

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

No, they're a different size. Bail springs (as rare as Unicorn poo!) are interchangeable.

Andyman
Bleak

Post by Andyman »

Thanks again
So now looking for a No 2 with spare spool.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

There seems to be a fairly regular supply on a well know online auction site. However, an Altex is a bit of a risky thing to buy sight unseen, in my view. I think they are prone to wear and damage more so than other spinning reels. The difference between a really sweet running one and what you typically find is quite dramatic. Unless you have somebody like Nobby or Watermole on hand to guide you and/or to rebuild and fettle as required I'd buy on exterior condition since that will give you a very good idea of how much use and how much abuse it has had. Although you'll pay rather more for it I'd buy a really good one from a dealer, on the understanding that it can be returned if you're not happy. I'd spend a lot of time quietly ticking it over very slowly and looking and feeling for any indication that things aren't running true or smoothly. In really fine fettle these reels are brilliant for close in fishing, in average condition they can feel a bit ragged and awkward.

I have a theory that most were sold for salmon spinning which might have put them on rocky riverbanks or in boats. This may account for the numbers I've seen with very subtle damage that puts something fractionally out of true or causes something to not quite feel right. I think the rotor is a bit fragile and susceptible to taking very soft dents, that can be hard to discover. Common use as a spinning reel, with the endless winding in, might explain why so many I've come across feel very worn.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Hardy Reels”