Hardy Altex No3 - a reel conundrum!

The Hardy Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Hardy Altex No3 - a reel conundrum!

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All,
I've spent the last few weeks rescuing an Altex No3 MkV originally purchased for spares, but I took pity on it. Hours have been spent de-greasing, flushing, cleaning, etc. New springs and a new line guide roller fitted (the latter courtesy of a Dam 330 - perfect fit). Where the screw head for the circular inspection plate was sheared off (not drillable, nor retrievable) I've cut and filed an original screw head and stuck it on so to offer an edge to the plate (as it were).
Having studiously read all posts relating to these reels (thank you all), I decided not to attempt to get at the bearings despite being pretty competent at reel restoration. The Altex is now a 'user', but the problem is lubrication of the bearings. The reel was a dog when I bought it, and the bearings were rusted, with a nice bone tingling crunch in there somewhere. Copious amounts of flushing and cotton buds behind the rotor on the spindle have alleviated this, but in comparison to my other ones it sounds dry and isn't as smooth. As well as gun oil on both ends of the spindle, I've tried a bit of chainsaw oil as it is designed to stick (and I appreciate this isn't usually recommended, but nothing to lose!). As you will appreciate if you've played around with an Altex, the spindle from the cup side has a spiral groove to help oil through.
Any suggestions to further 'wet' the race greatly appreciated. I imagine the bearings were rusted to the degree of near disintegration when I received it (and it was cheap)!
Regards Cat

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Hardy Altex No3 - a reel conundrum!

Post by Silfield »

Hello Cat,
If the bearings are feeling like they are there will probably be pitting to the balls, cage and race and no amount of cleaning will render them silky smooth, you will be able to improve them but not to their original state without replacement. Is there any way to submerge the bearing assembly in oil? If you can then place the reel in a suitable container with thicker than normal oil and place in a warm oven as this will make the oil flow more easily into where it is needed, once cooled it will hopefully stay where it is needed.
Good luck.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
It's a very brave man who strips an Altex to the bearings, but then again I've nothing to lose (I've got a couple of others)! However, the idea of soaking the the rotor containing the bearings in chainsaw oil and leaving it for a few days to penetrate may be a way forward (and leaving it for a food time for the excess to drain off). I've already inundated with oil day after day. As I say, nothing to lose.
Thanks Cat

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sadly, it isn't always possible to get to the bearings anyway. If the brass locking ring in the back of the reel won't budge you're stuck!

I imagine Hardy had a special tool to move it, but I use some pretty strong circlip pliers...it isn't perfect but it sometimes shifts it.

The bearings are loose so if you do have a go...do it over a bowl or you'll lose a few!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They are a bit tricky to work on Cat but if you have got that far, you can do the rest.
The main things you need are some fine pin punches and good quality sweedish pliers for removing the pins and wires. The circular nut which holds the rotor assembly in place is removed by a two prong tool, there are a few ways to make a suitable tool but the easiest way is by filing the centre out of a suitable sized piece of flat metal then rounding the two prongs that are left.
Suitable sized bearings are available on ebay.

Wal.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you Nobby and Wal... appreciated. Another Hardy tool to consider making...I made a two pronged one for the bail arm screw! They really, really didn't make it easy. Out of interest, do you know if they were sent back to the factory for servicing or warranty issues, or were there designated service centres?
Regards Cat

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Some gun and tackle dealers held spares and repair kits including tools but I suspect a lot of them went back to Hardys for major repair work.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Heres the Altex tool that was available from Hardys. Quite rare these days but not too hard to make.

Wal.
Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Another method of making a suitable tool is like this. This one is a Bosch voltage regulator adjusting tool and the pins were perfectly spaced to suit the Hardy lock nut.
ImageImage

Wal.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks Wal,
Even the Hardy tools seem strangely desirable!
Cat

Return to “Hardy Reels”