Hardy Conquest. Some recent observations.

The Hardy Reels forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Hardy Conquest. Some recent observations.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Just a recent observation or two on the Conquest reels.

I noticed the other day a conquest for sale which had the dial type drag but it had a riveted on brass reel foot like the wheel in the hole version.
All the other dial types I have seen have had a polished alloy foot secured to the raised lug on the backplate.
ImageImage

I also recently noticed.
The spindle on the dial type is a plain parallel bar so the bronze bush inside the drum is in contact full length.

Whereas the spindle on the wheel in hole type is waisted, creating two smaller friction areas at the top and bottom of the spindle and I now think this is what makes it the more free running. Sorry it is not a very good photo but I think you will get my drift.

This of course only adds more wonder as to why Hardys discontinued the earlier version and created a more complicated and less free running reel.

Wal.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Hardy Conquest. Some recent observations.

Post by Paul F »

That is very interesting Wal, thanks for sharing.
I guess the less free running is to reduce the chance of an overrun!
I remember seeing a you tube video of Bernard Venables using a Conquest, and Bernard was feeding the line off the reel throughout the trot, so that can't be a very free running reel

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You dont always want a very free running reel! Holding back or slowing the float's speed lifts the bait up enticingly for the fish. That's If your shotting is correct.

Interesting differences though. I have one with the 'hole'.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Totally agree Olly but thats what the drag is for. It is nice to have the option of a very free running reel for trotting a stick float in a light flow.
I must admit though, the dial type does look the better reel and I think most owners are willing to accept looks over performance.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done for the observations Wal! Like you I have seen hundreds of Conquests over the years, but personally I always thought that the 'wheel in the hole' model was generally more free running. I remember showing Nobby what turned out to be a very early 'Flick em Perfection' and he pointed out several internal differences that I would NEVER have spotted, it is great to learn new things about such iconic reels! :Hat:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I don't think the brass foot ivorine dial reels are that uncommon. Mine is the same. I've seen quite a few over the last few years.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Interesting Wal as I have a superb as new wide drum Speedia - with no drag - for trotting. Or the Stantons and original 5in Leeds! Both models with or without handles and no drag and some with no ratchet always with the line coming off the top.

I only use a drag on a centrepin when carping/barbelling usually with my Aerials. And a ratchet when travelling from swim to swim, etc.

We all seem to have come to different ways of doing things!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The drag was an optional extra on most reels and of course came at extra cost. Anglers simply use a thumb on the spool edge to slow it down so the drag is rarely used but it was an option and we all like to think we have the best versions of things so maybe it was also a good selling point.
Lined rings on rods are an option and not really needed but always available on the deluxe versions.
Wal.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I would say that the first reel shown, with the turned backplate (note internal turning witness lines) and riveted-on, shaped brass reel seat is a far older reel, judging by the style and builder's initials stamp.
A bit more Hardy Bros. finesse is apparent by the radiused front face of the backplate rim and countersunk screw holes for the line guard, although the decorative detail in the cast backplate and seat lug of the later model with the Hardy Bros. logo is not unattractive.. More thought was also given to making the actual mechanics of the later reel's checkwork more efficient, rather than just features for their own sake.

Shaped, brass reel seats were far more costly-and heavier-to produce than aluminium ones and so the latter were fitted on all later reels.

Spindles with a wide centre relief on diameter have less bearing surface so are thus generally speaking, more free-running-but with the trade off that they are prone to wearing out quicker! It is true that the relief can act as an oil reservoir, but my own thoughts are that it can also carry stored dirt and grit. I personally speaking, prefer plain spindles. If kept clean and regularly oiled, they are just as free running-for all practical angling purposes, than ones which bear only at the ends-and certainly will last longer.

An interesting comparison of the development of this reel..thank you for showing it.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Just for the record, I’m performance over looks any day!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Hardy Reels”