Hardy Altex line roller screw removal?

The Hardy Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Hardy Altex line roller screw removal?

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
A couple of questions regarding removing the screw that houses the line roller on an Altex. Id like to turn the roller very slightly to avoid the wear. The roller has obviously been turned at some point as the vast majority or wear is on the 'outside' (as it were) where there will be no line contact, but there is a tad where it may just catch under tension at certain angles. I'm thinking that whomever turned it around in the mists of time may have a) not greased it, b) put a drop of glue or paint on it to stop it loosening. The screw is well and truly stuck! Am i okay to try a bit of heat to remove it? I don't want to force and break it, and the screw head is tired + I'm not sure what it's made of.
Alternatively, is it possible to polish out the slight wear, and if so, what would be recommended for use?
Regards and thank you.
Cat.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Re: Hardy Altex line roller screw removal?

Post by ReelMaker »

I think there was a thread on this problem way back,if I remember I think the screw is lightly riveted to stop it coming undone .I did have an Altex no1 in the 60s which I bought for £11 brand new ,sold it in the 1985 for £40 ,worsted thing I ever did ,brillent reels.Reelmaker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Cat, try just turning the roller with a pair of smooth faced thin nosed pliers. Wrap something around the roller to prevent marking it with the pliers. It is usually just muck that jams them in position. If it seems solid try a little heat from a soldering iron on it, it might help it move.

Wal.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you both for your replies. I'll have a go. I spent yesterday evening trawling through all the fascinating posts on Altex reels, and got slightly lost / side tracked... easily done!
I don't suppose either of you know where I may get a tabbed plain washer from - the one between the spring and the fibre one, not the 'dotted' one behind the capstan?
Regards Cat

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

To be honest Cat, I can't see why that washer needs to be prevented from turning round so I would think an ordinary steel or even a brass washer of suitable size would work.

Wal.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Wal,
Funnily enough, torrential thunder storms this evening made me somewhat reluctant to venture to the ponds, so I put my mind to the same question - does that particular washer need to be tabbed? Although my understanding of mechanical engineering isn't too brilliant, (I understand why the one against the capstan does), I came to the same conclusion as you regarding the other. I'm sure someone will correct the both of us but, experimenting, a standard washer seems fine with a good thing fibre washer behind... it'll be interesting to use and test under load.
Thanks Cat

Return to “Hardy Reels”