Altex Drag

The Hardy Reels forum.
Old Man Oakley
Roach

Altex Drag

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Can any one help? I have a Hardy Altex, which seems to be fine except for the drag mechanism on the spool. There is a brass screw in the face of the spool, but tightening it up, doesn't seem to impart any greater friction on the spool, which is left free to turn under even minimal tension.

Thanks

OMO
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Altex Drag

Post by Beresford »

So I understand properly are you saying that tightening the slotted screw that is seated in the capstan doesn't increase the drag, if so that is correct. It's the capstan itself that effects the drag setting. The slotted screw can only be tightened so far anyway.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

The series of spring washer, fibre washer etc also need to be in the correct order for the clutch to work correctly.
If you are unsure let me know and I’ll put a photo together
AR

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Deleted - double posted! :oops:
Last edited by Banksy on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Banksy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:33 pm If it's any help. here's a pic of the order in which the washers came off my Altex reel a couple of years ago when I bought it.

As Beresford wrote, it's the star-shaped capstan which adjusts the drag, not the top fixing screw.

Whether the washer order is correct or not, the clutch works perfectly, and is probably the best thing about the reel!

I cannot honestly say the same of the spool width and the retrieve rate.
:Scared:
Sorry, quoted myself there, trying to edit my post!

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Is there a spring washer .?

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Hope this helps clear things up.
Text from a Hardy catalogue and photo of
my own reel
ImageImage
The clutch should emit a light clicking noise if you have it right

AR
PS apologies fibre washer should be first on to the spindle

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Fantastic, thank you all, I will take it to bits tonight and have a go.

PS what is the sweep stake on the number of bits I loose under the sofa?
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

These clutches do get assembled wrongly quite often. Here's the correct order, courtesy of Lee some years ago:

Note the spiral spring washer. Either these are often broken...and a part of the broken spring re-fitted, or Hardy fitted, at some time, a totally unsuitable stiff spring washer that does the clutch a distinct disservice.

Replacing these broken springs...if indeed they are broken....is problematic. Nobody has yet found an entirely suitable replacement. One of our members found some conical washers in Germany that weren't bad.

We did once talk of asking Garry Mills to do a small production run of them.........

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Nobby wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am These clutches do get assembled wrongly quite often. Here's the correct order, courtesy of Lee some years ago:

Note the spiral spring washer. Either these are often broken...and a part of the broken spring re-fitted, or Hardy fitted, at some time, a totally unsuitable stiff spring washer that does the clutch a distinct disservice.

Replacing these broken springs...if indeed they are broken....is problematic. Nobody has yet found an entirely suitable replacement. One of our members found some conical washers in Germany that weren't bad.

We did once talk of asking Garry Mills to do a small production run of them.........

Nobby, it is shown here in the Dealers Repair Manual as a standard spring washer and I have a spares set from Hardy which includes one so I am beginning to think it was standard, on most reels anyway.

I do have some flat coil spring that can be cut to suitable lengths to make the double coil ones but to be honest they don't seem to make any difference to the clutch operation.
Wal.

Return to “Hardy Reels”