Hardy Reel Makers Initials

The Hardy Reels forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Hardy Reel Makers Initials

Post by Mark »

Many vintage Hardy reels have a set of initials stamped on the inside of the frame. These are the reel makers initials.

Please see the .pdf file below for a list of these initials.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Hardy Reel Makers Initials

Post by Mark »

My Altex No. 2 Mk V is stamped JL which was made by Jack Luke who worked at Hardy's from 1936 to 1987.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MHC

Post by MHC »

I refer to the noted and comprehensive John Drewett book, (Hardy Brothers,The Masters, the men and their reels) where Drewett also provides a list of those who assembled the reels for Hardy's, known as 'finishers', apparently as they put together the reels from parts made by workers in the factory. He consulted with Jim Hardy plus others who worked at the firm long ago : Raymond Humble, Jack Luke, Main Hudson to piece together his list; he even interviewed Jimmy Smith in '82 who started as an apprentice in 1908.

If you can find a copy of the book it is well worth a read as there are many photographs and biographies of those responsible for putting the reels together. I note that one of Hardys best reel designers and makers was Arthur Wall, he not only made the early Silex as noted on the PDF list, he also made sea reels including most of their huge and famous Fortunas.

Denys Ward (whom Drewett also interviewed) made Jock Scotts, Altex, Tournament reels, St George multipliers as well as Silex reels.

I would like to reproduce some of the images of the men who put together Hardy's reels on this forum, but cannot with respect to copyright. As John notes in his book and mentioned to me in person, it gives great satisfaction to hold a reel, know who made it and something of their lives, plus see a photo of them.

http://purepiscator.com/interviews/inte ... ewett.aspx

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I would love to own a copy the book you mention MHC but they are fetching around £125 a copy. :shocked:
Mark (Administrator)

MHC

Post by MHC »

I also gasped at the price years ago when I heard of the book from a dealer friend. Then I found out that originally John had approached a couple of publishers and they wanted to alter the book down to a certain selling price (as he mentions in the interview). John did not like that thought so published it himself. To my eyes (as a graphic designer) it is one of the most attractive and informative books that I have seen with beautiful photos of the reels that Hardy is famous for, 16 lavish pages alone for Altex reels..

In the end (as a budding collector) I persuaded John to bring me a copy over (to save on shipping costs) when he was on his way to the west coast of Canada to fish for salmon.

There has to be at least one reel that I have purchased based on information in Drewetts book, which was either rare enough or that I could confirm the details of, that (should I sell on) would easily cover the price of the book.

For most Hardy collectors it is the difinitive reference, and also a wonderful read. It could easily qualify as one of my Desert Island books.

Malcolm

Lovatts
Gudgeon

Post by Lovatts »

Hello Mark,

just out of interest I have a Mark II duplicated 31/8 stamped TB8 assume Bates.

perhaps you can suggest a date for me on another brass faced Perfect which measures up at 3 15/16th bearing marks of figure 2 and M24437
Has the rod in hand logo and words

HARD'S PAT
PERFECT REEL
no other marks.

regards

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

My No. 2 Mk 5 was also made by Jack Luke.

Quite a career, 51 years with the same company!

Would there be any record (or guess) how many Altex reels he made in that time?
And how long would it take an engineer to make a reel?

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

If there were "workers" who made the parts and "finishers" who assembled the reels, surely it was a production line? Did the initials relate to the "finisher" ?

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

The initials refer to the finishers. Each reel was assembled by one man from parts made in a machine shop. The finisher would almost certainly do finishing operations such as linishing, reaming and polishing. Now-a-days we'd probably refer to them as fitters.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

SeanM,

Rather naively I had assumed that one person made the components and then assembled them.

Return to “Hardy Reels”