The Hardy No. 2 Wallis Reel

The Hardy Reels forum.
OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Re: The Hardy No. 2 Wallis Reel

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:30 pm A very nice stocking filler Mal. I love that Hardy check arrangement.

Wal.
Same on the Eureka... but not the Triumph

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Actually only the Wallis No.1 is a true pin and good runner. The No.2 reels are winches same as the Eureka reels so aren't as free running. I did mention in another thread about a Eureka 4" which had a boss same as a Conquest so ran better than those with a telephone latch and other members mentioned having seen a couple too.

Silexman
Ruffe

Post by Silexman »

I've just done some testing of my Wallis reels and the results were:-

3.5" No 1 35 seconds
3.5" No 2 27 seconds
4" No 2 19 seconds

Tried the Triumphs too.

4" 16 seconds
3" 16 seconds

Might try it with Eurekas and Conquests too.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

For spin tests centrepins should be horizontal and winches vertical

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

StefanDuma wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:37 pm I love all the variations of the Wallis reels, the Slater made ones - still finding variations - plus the Hardy ones. There are more Hardy ones that I did not know existed. Trying to track down one owned by Wallis with a couple of variations in the construction.

The 3 1/2 inch model is rare and a great acquisition, well done.
Sorry, what do you mean by Slater made ones?
I know several manufacturers made Wallis rods, but didn't know they made reels too!

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

The Hardy-Wallis reel in the first photo is a bit unusual. The earliest Wallis No.1 and no.2 reels had bulbous handles soon changed to the tapered type of handle to prevent line catching up on them as used on Conquests . Your straight handles must have come between the two mentioned.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Excuse my ignorance chaps, but could someone enlighten me as to the difference between a pin and a winch?

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

A true centrepin is like the aerial type or Rapidex etc. Which have a fine point at the tip of the main bearing shaft. This bears on a jewelled bearing in the drum centre cap (Silex or Wallis No.1 ) or a grub screw which can be adjusted for end float (Rapidex, Aerial, Speedia etc.)
These run best held horizontally.
A winch doesn't have a fine point or bearing cap in the drum. So the drum is usually retained by a nut or latch (Eureka, Wallis no.2, Longstone, modern bearing reels).
These winches tend to run less well than the true pins and are best held vertically.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

OhMyGoodness wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:08 am
StefanDuma wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:37 pm I love all the variations of the Wallis reels, the Slater made ones - still finding variations - plus the Hardy ones. There are more Hardy ones that I did not know existed. Trying to track down one owned by Wallis with a couple of variations in the construction.

The 3 1/2 inch model is rare and a great acquisition, well done.
Sorry, what do you mean by Slater made ones?
I know several manufacturers made Wallis rods, but didn't know they made reels too!
David Slater made a number of Wallis reels The Wallis Pike reel in 3 sizes, The Wallis Zephyr and the Improved Wallis Zephyr in two sizes.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

OhMyGoodness wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:39 pm A true centrepin is like the aerial type or Rapidex etc. Which have a fine point at the tip of the main bearing shaft. This bears on a jewelled bearing in the drum centre cap (Silex or Wallis No.1 ) or a grub screw which can be adjusted for end float (Rapidex, Aerial, Speedia etc.)
These run best held horizontally.
A winch doesn't have a fine point or bearing cap in the drum. So the drum is usually retained by a nut or latch (Eureka, Wallis no.2, Longstone, modern bearing reels).
These winches tend to run less well than the true pins and are best held vertically.
Ok got it, many thanks.

Return to “Hardy Reels”