KELLY KETTLE

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Tizer
Chub

KELLY KETTLE

Post by Tizer »

Morning all, When I go fishing these days I take stainless steel flask with just hot water in it and I get 5 small cups of tea out of it ,I carry milk and tea bags separately ,I saw some people working in the woods and at tea time they got a kelly kettle out,it made me think about getting one,it would take up 3 times as much space as my flask doe's but I think you would get more cups out of it,I was thinking that maybe I would get fed up trying to find and light the wood everytime I wanted a cup of tea,they there is the cost which I think is about £30,but I imagine they would last forever,Any thoughts please.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: KELLY KETTLE

Post by Black Prince »

Well if I tried to use one I probably would get poisoned here in the northwest but like you trying to light etc more bulk plus I would rather have a cold drink I think I have had two cups of tea in my life I only fish 5 hours at a time if you had a days fishing yes it probably would be worth it I think mike

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tin helmet time. There are many keen followers of the hunter gatherer approach to brewing on the bank. The continual search for dry kindling, the mesmeric plume of smoke and the eventual brew. It is a religion that I do not follow as I have a couple of gas stoves, one small and portable, another slightly larger for sessions. Quick, clean and effective in all weather conditions.

Or I take a flask of hot water and add coffee to cup as required.

But others will have a different view. :Scared:

JAA

Post by JAA »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:57 am Tin helmet time. There are many keen followers of the hunter gatherer approach to brewing on the bank. The continual search for dry kindling, the mesmeric plume of smoke and the eventual brew. It is a religion that I do not follow as I have a couple of gas stoves, one small and portable, another slightly larger for sessions. Quick, clean and effective in all weather conditions.

Or I take a flask of hot water and add coffee to cup as required.

But others will have a different view. :Scared:
^this^ :Hat:
I take a flask, tea of coffee, 'modified' coffee and tea for when it's cold. A storm/Kelly kettle is a nice idea, but lugging it all about is a faff, I'm trying to take less stuff not more! I bought a Kelly used it twice, hung it in the garage for two years, then gave it away!

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Kelly Kettles are great for social fishing gatherings.When a few friends are fishing together the smoke from a couple of Kellys and the promise of cake tins opening will have them running!.Expert Kelly lighters pride themselves on how little kindling they use to get a boil.There is often very dry paper and kindling carried in the Kelly bag which is a great help.The small size is fairly easy to carry as is enough water for a few cups.
I use mine for social fishing only.I am quite happy with a 500 ml bottle of pop for the short sessions that i mainly do.A friend uses something similar to a Kelly that runs on meths.He takes it in his back bag when roving fly fishing too.I cant remember what its called but it is very light.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I used a Kelly for a couple of years back in the days when I carried too much gear anyway but I found I enjoyed my fishing much more as I trimmed down the amount of stuff I took with me.
When I look back I think they are too bulky, always filthy and just too much of a faff on for a cup of tea.
These days I just take a flask of tea or coffee but I do occasionally use a small gas stove, kettle and pan if decide to stop out all night. A fresh cup of tea and a bacon grill sarnie at first light is wonderful.

Wal.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

If I'm fortunate to be able to park very very close to where I'm fishing then kelly kettle and everything for the brewing experience will be in the car including the fuel etc..... but then i haven't used it in a while...... must go fishing where I can park next to swim......
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Thanks everyone,will have to think about this one I think :Thumb:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Well, fishing pressure is really high where I am going so I usually do not catch. I enjoy my time on the bank by watching the wild life scenery. Holding a rod is my excuse of being there. I have to say since I have my Kelly Kettle it adds to the relax factor by setting up a little brew with filtered water directly from the river. Don't use it much in summer but don't want to miss it when it gets colder...
And being a little pyromaniac I think I simply have to.

ImageImage
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I've never used a Kelly and doubt I ever will.
I would imagine there is something satisfying about there use though.
My flask works as a timer for me. When it's empty it's time to go home. Cold stationary days see it depleted in a row hours. A roving day or a busy lake day and it will last with enough for a cuppa on the way home.
The key is getting a good quality flask which keeps things nice and hot.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”