travelling light

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

travelling light

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Drop shotting for Perch allows you to travel extremely light indeed. All terminal tackle items ie. hooks, weights, line, lures etc fit into a pouch which you can fit into a waistcoat or coat pocket. Other essentials such as disgorgers, scales, forceps, scissors (don't forget yours, I did), easily fit into another pocket. The only things you have to carry are the rod, reel (attached) and net. Not even a shoulder bag is needed. It's true, I had a couple of hours today. An anglers waistcoat is recommended, one with plenty of pockets.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: travelling light

Post by LuckyLuca »

Like that!
I try to get down to those levels, but struggle to go anywhere without my flask! This generally means I take a shoulder bag and with the extra space it's down hill from there!

PS the empty mint tins are great little tackle carriers arnt they!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

LuckyLuca wrote:Like that!
I try to get down to those levels, but struggle to go anywhere without my flask! This generally means I take a shoulder bag and with the extra space it's down hill from there!
This is me!!! :Hahaha:

I could in theory travel really light but as you say theres the "flask factor" once you have a backpack or shoulder bag to accommodate the flask its easy to fill it with extra bait, bank sticks and sandwiches :Chuckle:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

That's my kind of fishing,minimal kit and off you go.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Pfft! You coarse fishermen! Us fly fishermen have always fished like this! :Scared: Banter of course chaps, banter....

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Scott wrote:Pfft! You coarse fishermen! Us fly fishermen have always fished like this! :Scared: Banter of course chaps, banter....

And there's no messy, smelly baits to deal with either. :fish:
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

The only flask you gents need is a hip flask. :Wink:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Kingfisher wrote:The only flask you gents need is a hip flask. :Wink:
You won't get much tea in one of those! :whistle:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

This new season I intend to do more river fishing. Due to time restrains, I will be doing this on an ad hoc basis with little time to plan, so will not be taking a lot of equipment. One rod, (Cane, Glass or Modern), bits of tackle in my roving rucksuck/chair and a landing net. This way I intend to try many swims and avoid dogs and people.

The stretch sees a lot of dog walkers and they do let them in the water. I can't be bothered to get into a confrontation, so will up stick and move else where. That or fish very early in the morning. The more I have become interested in old tackle and as I have become older, the less I wish to carry and that is from someone who would take a Continental match box, Platform, Carryall, 3 rods and a pole to most situation. Even when I was not in a match. How I have changed.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I saw an advert in trout fishing magazine for a new light weight waistcoat,it had 33 pockets.What you put in them all god only knows.

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”