Problems Fishing with Self Cocking Floats

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Problems Fishing with Self Cocking Floats

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I do not ever recall having issues fishing with self cocking floats in the past but recently I have been having some problems which I am sure those on here who fish with this set up will be able to advise upon.

I have been using a small 4" long self cocking quill float attached at the top with a rubber and then the line being passed through an eye at the bottom with approximately 4 feet of line to a No.12 hook upon which is presented either bread flake, 2 grains of sweetcorn or a small cube of luncheon meat. The bait is presented on the bottom to entice a Tench or Crucian.

The cast is made by a gentle side swing of the rod with two loops of line drawn off the centrepin amounting to around 10 feet or so of line. The cast is made smoothly but the problem I am having is that on numerous occasions the baited line is looping back from the eye over the rubber meaning that I am fishing 4" short of the bottom and of course bite indication is now via the line over the top of the rubber instead of through the eye and then to the rubber.

So a simple question what am I doing wrong and how do I correct it.

Many thanks in advance. It proves Old Codgers still have things to learn and I am all ears.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Problems Fishing with Self Cocking Floats

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think if the line was attached bottom only, it would solve your problem.

Wal.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I have to ask why the top rubber if fishing stillwater? I'd imagine that if you remove that and allow the float to waggle loosely with the ability to rotate around the line then the issue will go? I have to say I've never been a fan of self cockers as they are a one trick pony - loaded yes but I like to be able to dictate a bit of variance with tell tale shot and/or a small bulk etc according to conditions

EDIT - Wal must have been typing as I was!

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Like Liphook, I prefer a loaded float rather than a fully self cocking float, for the same reason.

But if your float is fully self cocking and cannot carry the weight of a couple of shot with which to secure the line to the bottom ring, you can always use a couple of non-vintage rubber float stops?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I have been trying to visualise your sideways cast Keith, as I cannot understand why you should suddenly be having a problem. I can only assume that because of the loaded float being heavier than the bait, the float is travelling through the air first and the baited line beneath the float is looping over it when the float is checked prior to hitting the water? I cannot think of any other explanation? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Fish it waggler style.....problem goes. As LD Surmised the float is going ahead of the hook length; the float being fixed top and bottom ie stick styley result tangles and much muttering under breath.

Waggler style float still goes ahead of hook length but as fixed bottom end only nowhere for pesky line to attach and tangle: result happiness, good fishing and time to celebrate one's casting skills with a fine pie and much slurping tea!

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Your problem is one of physics Keith. The weighted float shoot like an arrow with your light baited hook following. As the float hits the water so the hooklink is trailing behind and catching the mainline as it lands. You can rectify this by braking the float and allowing the bait to catch up or overtake the float and it will all sort itself out, much as you would cast with a stick float on a river, Obviously, when you use shot down the line, it will act more like a pendulum at the end of the cast and be easier to control.

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”