Inspired by watermole+

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Fredline
Tench

Re: Inspired by watermole+

Post by Fredline »

Looking good.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I shall follow your posts on this with interest. I hope it goes well.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Looking good! Looking forward to see the progression!

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Duckett wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:26 pm I shall follow your posts on this with interest. I hope it goes well.

Phil
Scraped a bit only last week. Must persevere!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having had the pleasure of using Watermole's lathe to make the first few 'cut's in a billet of aluminium, I realise how difficult your task is. Watermole himself told me "people should see my bins full of mistakes"
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Not much progress I'm afraid other than turning bits of metal to swarf then transferring them to the scrap bin. However I thought you might want to see how some of the processes are undertaken? If you want details refer to the wonderful threads of WM+. I'll just add a few pictures of my bodge set up.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Izaak Walton

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Wow. Its a dream of mine to be able to do what you're doing. Best of luck and please update us regularly.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

For a second there I was thinking you had a pedal powered lathe, legs like Chris Hoy and the arms of a giant octopus :Sun: Keep up the good work and please do keep us updated :Hat:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Woow, I love threads like this! Lovely Myford there 👍
If I may ask:
How did you make the akku drill work on the tool holder? Something I wanted to add to my lathe for quite some time. I see a ball bearing there. Would you mind to show me the rest of it? Is it self made? :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

OldTackle wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:43 am Woow, I love threads like this! Lovely Myford there 👍
If I may ask:
How did you make the akku drill work on the tool holder? Something I wanted to add to my lathe for quite some time. I see a ball bearing there. Would you mind to show me the rest of it? Is it self made? :Hat:
All my tooling and forms are home made. Most with little more than basic hand tools. The tool post drill was a length of 20mm steel stock turned down to 12mm (to fit in tool holder) with 2 shoulders at each end. These are then relieved to take a bearing in a light press fit. The collect is an er11 ebay special with a ground 8mm shaft. Finally its secured with a 8mm collar and grub screw (this can be moved along the shaft to set the depth). It's powered either by a dremal type tools and flexi drive or directly from a cordless drill. One day I'll build it a specific motor/speed controller attachment.
Also for interest is my indexing attachment. Just a 60t gear and detend pin allowing me to stop on every tooth and half tooth.

Anyway they say a picture speaks a thousand words.
ImageImageImage

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”