ELO Bakelite reel

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Tench

ELO Bakelite reel

Post by Duckett »

I’m a bit of a fan of Art Deco design, so ever since I saw my first ELO I’ve been looking for a 4inch shallow spooled one with all the parts and in reasonable condition. Surprisingly, even though the cost was a princely £14.00, it’s taken me over 2 years!

I have 2 questions about restoring it:

1) Does anyone have any experience of using “Paste Polishing No. 5” for cleaning Bakelite reels? A friend of mine who collects GPO telephony recommended it to me. It was developed by the GPO for polishing electrical connections and they found it worked well on the Bakelite that tended to encase them. He uses it with great success. My reservation is that I seem to recall that not all Bakelite reels are actually made of Bakelite!

2) After taking apart, cleaning and oiling, I reassembled as it had arrived with me but the drag would not tighten, even when fully screwed down. The order of parts on the spindle (photo below) was: washer, washer, spring, drag nut, screw. I tried washer, spring, washer (which seems more logical) but that only worked once out of the 3 times I tried it. The only option that seems to work every time I put it together is spring, washer, washer.

Now, I am assuming that the top of the spring is catching on the tip of the spindle as the drag nut always turns And the screw tightens properly. However, other possibilities appear to be a part missing or one washer too many. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.

Phil

ImageImageImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: ELO Bakelite reel

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Phil, Just looked at mine a 4" but as it still has line on it difficult to judge the depth of spool would guess deep not as yours. My fathers reel used be me only once since his demise.However the order I have found is as you would think brass, washer spring, washer brass washer. adjuster . lock screw.I have no reason to think this has been changed since new. The drage from full out to full in is not much at all, the 4" is quite a lever against the spring tension! The ratchet...... like a gas/football rattle.... becaused the bakelite is a sound box.!!!! Regards Tony

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Phil, I have a 4" narrow drum version and the drag arrangement is spring, washer ,washer, adjuster, lock screw. It works fine as an adjustable drag to compensate for casting different weights but I dont think it was never meant to lock it up. A thin fibre or brass washer positioned under the spring may help to apply more pressure if required.

I wouldn't use mine for anything but light lines and smaller fish as the rim edge is like a blunt blade and I think trying to stop a big fish would result in it cutting into my thumb.

ImageImage

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:37 am Hi Phil, Just looked at mine a 4" but as it still has line on it difficult to judge the depth of spool would guess deep not as yours. My fathers reel used be me only once since his demise.However the order I have found is as you would think brass, washer spring, washer brass washer. adjuster . lock screw.I have no reason to think this has been changed since new. The drage from full out to full in is not much at all, the 4" is quite a lever against the spring tension! The ratchet...... like a gas/football rattle.... becaused the bakelite is a sound box.!!!! Regards Tony
Thanks Tony! Having tried the ratchet I was thinking it might me more appropriate once I am allowed back into Prenton Park to watch Tranmere Rovers!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:42 pm Hi Phil, I have a 4" narrow drum version and the drag arrangement is spring, washer ,washer, adjuster, lock screw. It works fine as an adjustable drag to compensate for casting different weights but I dont think it was never meant to lock it up. A thin fibre or brass washer positioned under the spring may help to apply more pressure if required.

I wouldn't use mine for anything but light lines and smaller fish as the rim edge is like a blunt blade and I think trying to stop a big fish would result in it cutting into my thumb.

ImageImage

Wal.
Hi Wal. Thanks for this. I see what you mean about the rim! With the drag, I was wondering about using it as an alternative to the football rattle racket that Tony referred to! Thing is, it mostly doesn’t tighten the spool at all, except for that one arrangement of spring, washer, washer! I have to admit that on still waters I do tend to make use of the ratchet on my pins quite a lot!

Cheers,

Phil

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”