A Hodder Reborn

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

A Hodder Reborn

Post by Dave Burr »

I mentioned, in one of my posts, that my Hodder wouldn't fit on my Hardy LRH1 rod. It's been something that has irked me for a long time but I've always worked around it. Then I had a pm from Watermole+.

This picture shows the twisted original reel foot that was also physically too big for the reel seat.
[/img]

Leszek wrote again and explained what else he had found wrong with my beloved old reel. The centre bush was worn and needed the hub being bored and a new bush fitted. The line lays were in a mess with some being twisted, screws loose or broken and subsequently discovered that they were differing sizes. I feared the worst, was it doomed?

Today my reel found its way back to me. The hub work - well, I take Leszek's word for that as I'm not taking it apart again. But the bronze seat is reshaped, straight and very shiny. The line lays have been replaced with brass ones (very smart and totally in keeping) and the whole reel is rejuvenated and ready for another eighty or ninety years of work. I cannot thank Leszek enough, his generosity and skill make him a very special man indeed.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: A Hodder Reborn

Post by Dave Burr »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:00 pm I mentioned, in one of my posts, that my Hodder wouldn't fit on my Hardy LRH1 rod. It's been something that has irked me for a long time but I've always worked around it. Then I had a pm from Watermole+.

This picture shows the twisted original reel foot that was also physically too big for the reel seat.

Leszek wrote again and explained what else he had found wrong with my beloved old reel. The centre bush was worn and needed the hub being bored and a new bush fitted. The line lays were in a mess with some being twisted, screws loose or broken and subsequently discovered that they were differing sizes. I feared the worst, was it doomed?

Today my reel found its way back to me. The hub work - well, I take Leszek's word for that as I'm not taking it apart again. But the bronze seat is reshaped, straight and very shiny. The line lays have been replaced with brass ones (very smart and totally in keeping) and the whole reel is rejuvenated and ready for another eighty or ninety years of work. I cannot thank Leszek enough, his generosity and skill make him a very special man indeed.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Super restoration by the master! Of particular interest to me as I fish the River Hodder. Certainly one to cherish :Sun:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Leszek, "The man that can".
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Fredline wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:31 pm Leszek, "The man that can".
and the man that does and quite splendidly as well. Superb stuff as always.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I marvel at the skill involved in making the changes to your reel Dave! I think that we all know that the forum is very lucky to have such a talent! Your reel is now as good or better than new! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

A splendid result Dave - what a job Leszek has done for you. It’s a cracker of a reel - with that on the LRH it’s a wonderful combo.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Excellent :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Cracking job. :Thumb:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

A lovely job from the master and looks to be a very well engineered reel from inception.
Must admit I had never heard of them until this thread.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”