Match Aerial Problem

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Match Aerial Problem

Post by Dave Burr »

My mint Match Aerial has stayed in it's box for way too long. I am not the biggest fan of these reels so today, I gifted it to my son. He was touched by the gesture and gave it the regulation spin and was impressed at how long it ran for. Then he turned the bakelite (?) ratchet knob on the back and ..... it fell into pieces under minimal pressure.

My question - Has anybody else experienced this and Is it possible to get a replacement piece? If so where :Beg:

I could stick the bits back together, maybe with milliput or similar and it would function, but it would look awful.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Fredline
Tench

Re: Match Aerial Problem

Post by Fredline »

They are renowned for it Dave. Garry Mills does a black alloy replacement for a couple of quid. I have seen more reels with a replacement then with an original ratchet knob. Personally I luvem.
Match Aerials not knobs.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Fredline wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:45 pm They are renowned for it Dave. Garry Mills does a black alloy replacement for a couple of quid. I have seen more reels with a replacement then with an original ratchet knob. Personally I luvem.
Match Aerials not knobs.
Thanks Fred, I won't say anything about your love of knobs :Chuckle:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:36 pm My mint Match Aerial has stayed in it's box for way too long. I am not the biggest fan of these reels so today, I gifted it to my son. He was touched by the gesture and gave it the regulation spin and was impressed at how long it ran for. Then he turned the bakelite (?) ratchet knob on the back and ..... it fell into pieces under minimal pressure.

My question - Has anybody else experienced this and Is it possible to get a replacement piece? If so where :Beg:

I could stick the bits back together, maybe with milliput or similar and it would function, but it would look awful.

Any help or advice gratefully received.
Garry Mills replaced mine for me last year.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I made my own out of a bit of scrap brass. It allows me to flick it on and off with a finger without having to move my hand from the rod handle when holding the rod.

Just need to age it a bit now.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Silfield wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:07 pm I made my own out of a bit of scrap brass. It allows me to flick it on and off with a finger without having to move my hand from the rod handle when holding the rod.

I love that lever, whenever I see it I think it could have been a part of Jules Vernes time machine.

Wal.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Silfield wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:07 pm I made my own out of a bit of scrap brass. It allows me to flick it on and off with a finger without having to move my hand from the rod handle when holding the rod.

That lever is great.I would leave it and let it age naturally.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Thanks Harry, I've sent Gary a message :Hat:

Silfield - that looks awesome, don't know why Allcocks didn't think of it :Ok:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks for the comments, I think I will call it Verne from now on :Wink:
My match aerial handle suffered from the same fate but I managed to glue it back together with some 2 part epoxy and it is still holding up but I do think that the ratchet spring is too stiff in one direction and have lightened the tension by gently tweaking the spring on all my Aerials without any detriment. It was either that or reprofiling the small cam, which is something I didn't really want to do at the time.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I only just spotted this thread but I think you may just have created the worlds first Steam Punk centrepin!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”